Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...

Do tanners still use dog and pigeaon dung to soften leather?

Do tanners still use dog and pigeaon dung to soften leather? If not, when did it stop? What are the alternatives used now?
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Very interesting question and something I have spent the morning to research for you.

It seems that this practice is still conducted by some but more modern ways have come around. The process I found out is called "puering".

The book "Leather Processing & Tanning Technology Handbook" describes in one of their pages the technique of using this method and more modern products to soften leather.

Copy and paste the long link below in your search browser to read the details: g=PA94&lpg=PA94&dq=dung++soften+leather&source=bl&ots=vMeDd_OvGK&sig=3d7EqStLY3FGnFNviJ5pP0qCzjo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=pGx1UeeiHYKoigLmpIDgDw&ved=0CHYQ6AEwCTgK#v=onepage&q=dung%20%20soften%20leather&f=false
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Maichel,

Thank you very much for your reply. It was good. I though expected more details such as dates and countries relating to stoppage of use of dog dung. You however provided me the link to the Handbook. I have perused that as well. It would be nice to know if or not the use of dog dung for pureing has been practiced in Bangladesh. But I would not like to bother you further as it might cost me more money,

Best wishes.

Your welcome and hope that the handbook can be of help.