Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Extensive experience in research and problem solving.
Type Your Question Here...

Do the exercises from lumosity.com make people smarter? What

Customer Question

Do the exercises from lumosity.com make people smarter? What does the scoence say about it?
And which brains exercises seem to work the best?
Thanks
Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 12 months ago.
My name isXXXXX am a physiologist.

To answer your question - yes. The exercises make you smarter. They may or may not increase your actual IQ but they actually will increase your memory, can help with decision making, reaction time and a ton of other things. I actually use lumosity.

So your thought is probably something like "how can this be?"

Basically he brain is a dynamic "muscle" very elastic in nature and very very adaptable both in a physical sense and a cognitive sense. In other words, give enough time and regular training you can literally make your brain do whatever you want. However some things are "use it or lose it" meaning the brain will continually improve upon its training stimuli until the stimuli stops the brain may then hang onto the high level skill for a while, then slowly decrease its recall for it. Learning a second language or a third is a great example of this - people who stop using their non native language eventually lose bits and pieces of it until they are forced to use and recall. Same thing in young kids and early childhoods advanced schooling, they can maintain that level provided the stimulus is alway provided, then function at least at that level slows slightly then can regress.

Think of this as brain bodybuilding. Once you stop trainin the body will hold onto muscle for a while, then basically slowly regress once the training stimulus is removed.

Luminosity is awesome. If you want to keep getting faster, smarter and have better memory keep simply using your brain. Stimulate, don't annihilate..
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

but what scientific studies are there about lumosity? because ive seem good and bad evidences. thxs

Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 11 months ago.
Hello again.

I understand that you are looking for some scientific evidence that Luminosity works (or doesn't). From what I have seen, the evidence weighs heavily in favor of it working. And while the document I'm sending you could be presented in a biased manner because it comes from them, I think the data in the studies themselves are valid and are so clearly positive, that they speak for themselves.

I certainly don't think there could be any negative effects of this excercises on the brain, and studies over time have proven that stimulous helps to build pathways in the brain, even in injured or improperly formed brain tissue.

The science behind Luminosity
graphic
The Human Cognition Project
graphic
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

thanks XXXXX XXXXXnigan for the answer.

id like to ask also if in your research you also found any other activities/ techniques that have been proven to boost the brain performance, things such dual nback and image streaming.

thanks a lot

Thank you very much! I'm glad the information was helpful. In order for me to stay within the Terms of Service, would you mind opening this followup question with me as a new question? You can do that right here,
XXXXX XXXXXnigan

And since you are a subscriber, it doesn't result in an additional charge.

Also, please remember to rate my level of performance on my answer for this question. Ratings are expert specific, so please make sure you rate the answer you found helpful. Thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes Michael, pls open it as a new question : )

Expert:  replied 11 months ago.
As much as I'd love to open new qestions for myself Innocent, they won't let me... you can probably imagine why!

If you don't mind doing so, could you please rate my level of service on this question, and then go to the following page to open a followup with me? Just type your question in there on my page and it will come right to me. Thank's for being so patient and cooperative. You're a pleasure to deal with and I'll work on questions from you all day if you'd like!

XXXXX XXXXXnigan

Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience: Extensive experience in research and problem solving.