Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...

I am trying to clean calcium( Im guessing) that is always

I am trying to clean calcium( I'm guessing) that is always clinging to the sides of my crock pot every time I cook beans. I am aware that The crockpot book says to never use a harsh soap or scouring pad or surface can be damaged. What can I use?
Category: General
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

You are correct about the instructions from the maker of the crock pot as I have checked their website and it
confirms what you have said.

There are though some options to try as I have researched some this evening.

1. For any type of mineral stain, fill 2/3 water and 2/3 cup of distilled white vinegar. Put lid on and set to high. Let run a couple of hours. Less possible work than elbow grease.

2. Hot soapy water with some dish soap and let sit for a few hours. If this does not help,, 1/4 cup of baking soda and elbow grease. Use nylon scrubber.

3. Something that I have come across often believe it or not is using 2 to 3 denture tablets and let soak overnight.

Let's hope one of these can help in getting your crock pot in good shape for cooking those beans!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Kinda related, I have a build up of something beige and crusty in my washer mostly on the agitator. with a putty knife I can get it off but it a lot ,of work. Is there a better way? Thanx for the 1st answer it should work.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Usually the buildup can be either soap scrum or even mold.

Some ideas I have researched tonight on this topic include:

1. Vinegar and epsom salt can be tried along with baking soda.

2. If the agetator can be removed, try using a bottle brush dipped in hot water and baking soda. If the agitator cannot be removed, then try filling machine with hot water, 1 cup of chlorine and 2 cups distilled white vinegar. Run a complete cycle.

Michael, Librarian
Experience: 20+ years as information professional