A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
Type Your Question Here...

I have two pieces of fine jewelry that I would like to know

I have two pieces of fine jewelry that I would like to know the value of. Also is it possible to approximate the carat weight of gem stones already set in jewelry? The first is a ruby and diamond tennis bracelet. It has 45 round, facetted rubies in increments of 5 that measure 1/16" or 2.5 mm each with 9 diamonds dividing the sections of 5 rubies. Each diamond measures less that 1/32". It is set in 10k gold. Measures 7.5" long. Total weight is 11.3 grams. Is there a formula to estimate the carat weight? What I need est. carat weight and value.

The second is a diamond ring. It has 5 marquise cut diamonds in a row, graduating from the largest in the center to smallest on the ends and a small trillion cut diamond on each end. The setting is 14k yellow gold. The diamonds measure as follows: Marquise: 1-(largest) 5mm x 3.5mm, 2 - 4.5mm x 3mm, 2 - 4mm x2.5mm and trillion: 2 - 2.5mm each side. Total weight is 3.8 grams. It is a size Can you estimate the carat weight and the value?

here are the photos
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sure i'll wait.

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

Estimates can run all over the map. Value of gemstones can only be determined by sight, since cut, color, and clarity are the major components of the value. Size (carat weight) for rubies, for instance, can run from $100 to $15,000 per carat.

The same is true of diamonds. Naturally, a number of smaller stones is not as valuable as one large stone, although both might add up to the same carat weight.

Since the rings are valuable, I would suggest you take them to a certified gemnologist for an appraisal. S/he can look at the stones through a loupe and determine their value based on qualities that you have to see to make an appraisal.

BTW, the image at imgur does not open. However, it really isn't necessary to see them, since value can run from $300-10,000 for each piece depending on the quality of the stones.

Best regards,

A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience: 30 years in research