Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Extensive experience in research and problem solving.
23511658
Type Your Question Here...

"I need to know the US imports (for 2011,2012 and 1Q 2013)

Customer Question

"I need to know the US imports (for 2011,2012 and 1Q 2013) of macadamia nuts with $ and tons figures, country of origin and principally name and contact information of importers."
Category: General
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Macadamia nuts are one of the most expensive and have even been reported to reduce cholesterol.

As for your question on US imports, I have researched a report conducted by the United States Department of Agriculture in Cooperation with the Hawaii Department of Agriculture. In this report, US imports are listed for the dates 2011-2012. US imports in terms of state as well as country and metric tons. The import charts are located on page 6-7:

http://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics_by_State/Hawaii/Publications/Fruits_and_Nuts/mac-finFF.pdf

In terms of projected estimates worldwide:

http://www.samac.org.za/docs/EstimatedWorldMacadamiaProduction.pdf

Nothing I have been able to locate for 1Q of 2013 as numbers may not have been reported as yet.

For contact information on importers:

http://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch/KE/macadamia-nuts.html

http://importer.alibaba.com/Macadamia-Nuts_iid10409

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you provide names of actual US importers even without contact data and let say only for 2012?

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Problem locating a list as there are not a collection of names listed in online sites that I have been able to locate.

What I can recommend is looking at company database sites such as Hoovers as well as the Thomas Register and also Reference USA (found in your local public library-no access outside the library for myself). Here in these databases, you can search by companies that import macadamia nuts or just nuts in general) within the US.

Another option is to contact the American Association of Exporters and Importers. They may be able to produce for you a list for your research.

http://www.aaei.org/

Other than the links I listed earlier, there does not seem to be an exact list for review.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I thank you for your effort and courtesy but I am sorry, what I really what I principally needed is names of US importers. Best regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Please give me an answer to my same question
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Let us wait for the weekend. If there is not an expert we cancel the inquire. What happens then? I continue to have a credit for the future or is the charge reversed?

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. You have made a good faith deposit, which you can use to pay for a helpful answer, or have refunded upon your request. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name isXXXXX may have some additional information that will help you regarding Macadamia Nut importers in the United States. These are companies currently importing macadamia nuts (and in most cases, other products). I have included a link to company information for each one.

Caromac

Multiple Organics

St. Charles Trading, Inc

Pacific Agribusiness LLC / Maui Macadamia Nut Co.

Delicias de Nuez (Select Pecans)

JF Braun & Sons Inc

Lifesaver Import Export Co., Inc.

This is not a complete list. There doesn't seem to be a single source for the information specific to macadamia nuts.

On the following page, I've assembled a table of the top 20 importers that will allow you to do a better comparison side-by-side:

Macadamia Nut Importer Table

That's the information I have. I hope that it is helpful to you. If you have any questions, or would like me to find additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear XXXXX: Thanks for your assistance but maybe my question do not have an easy obtainable answer. What I need is let say 2012 (I was asking for 2011 and 1Q 2013) macadamia imports ($ and tons) and the detail of companies who imported that total amount. I believe that somebody would know how to extract that information from the Commerce Department or from who knows government agency who follows that trade statistics. I am already familiar with alibaba.com services. Thanks and best regards,

It's not necessary to rate my service as "poor". Did I offend you in some way? If so, I apologize. It wasn't my intention. I was answering your question based on the latest information you provided.
"I thank you for your effort and courtesy but I am sorry, what I really what I principally needed is names of US importers. Best regards,"

Unfortunately, the poor rating will remain on my profile indefinitely. I will see if I can get the information you require.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry about that. You really do not offend me and I hope I have not offended you. I just wanted to say that my question was not answered. If there is some way to say just that (that my question was not answered) and later to rate service I would have gave you and the others experts a good or excellent rating. Unfortunately, unless I misunderstood it, the system do not allow that and if I gave a OK rating or higher the expert receive credit as if the question was rightly answered.

My basic question ask for a response that can say for the requested periods something like the following: macadamia total imports were 100 tons (also $) and firm or person A imported 40 tons, B imported 30 tons, C imported 20 tons and others imported 10 tons.

I understand the confusion. The system doesn't really tell you that if you don't rate, it is assumed that your question hasn't been answered... in other words, it stays in the question pool for all Experts to answer. If I end up getting you the correct information and earn a positive rating, it will override that and there's nothing to worry about.

I've done a great deal of research so far and haven't found what you are looking for, however. And I can't imagine why this data is SO difficult to find. I've been able to find total import statistics and projected import statistics - for the US and all countries, actually. But not one that breaks it down by importer - even anonymously. There are a couple of very detailed reports that I have found that refer to Importers impact on the statistics and the market, etc, but not the exact detail we're looking for. I haven't given up the search and I was actually doing additional research when I saw your reply. If it's available, I can usually find it. This one's been a little difficult, but the information must be available. I will give you an update in a little while with what I have found.

To give you an idea of the raw data that I'm looking at from the USDA:
Fruit and Tree Nut Yearbook Spreadsheet Files

There's a huge amount of information there, but not exactly what you are looking for as far as what I have found so far. Like I said, though... still looking.

This is the closest I've come so far. This does give the import and export data and allows queries on the data, but still no data on the breakdown among importers. I'm starting to think that it's not something they keep or maybe something they don't publicly disclose.
Fruit and Tree Nut Data Trade Tables Import/Export

I don't give up easily, though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Michael. Keep up trying, I wait. Best regards,

Still working on it, although it still seems that the government may not publish the data for specific import companies. They have statistical profiles for all import companies. There are some subscripton data product downloads from the Foreign Trade devision of the Census Bureau, but it's not specific enough to know whether the data would be specific enough for your query.
Foreign Trade Data Products

I'm exhausting all possibilities. It may be that the data just isn't made publicly available. The government reports all seem to exclude data specific to individual companies.

There is a Subscription available for monthly US Imports that has extraordinarily detailed records that could be compiled and queried, but it's pretty expensive.
US Imports of Merchandise Monthly Data