Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

just bought a new Sentry fire safe H3100,but cant open it

just bought a new Sentry fire safe H3100,but can't open it at all.Keys are still inside.What am I doing wrong-how can I get it open?

Hello, Cindy and welcome to Just Answer.

My apologies that you did not receive an earlier answer. Different experts are online at varying times and I recently logged in and read your question.

When you said the 'keys are still inside', do you mean inside the locked safe? If so, you will need the keys to open the safe, however, it might initially come 'unlocked' with the key and you only need to apply pressure to the top and push in the latch to open. Continue to try to open the safe following directions on that little paper; you may not be pressing hard enough on the top of the safe, while trying to push the latch in. The safe has a compressed gasket which requires a lot of force to decompress while opening, so if pushing on it with your hand isn't enough pressure, try sitting on it while pushing the latch in and this might help release it.

If the safe is locked with the key and you don't have the keys available, you will need to either return the safe to the store where you bought it and exchange it for another one that has the keys not locked in the safe, or you can call Sentry and order a set of keys, but explain to them that your new safe never had keys included 'outside' the safe so you can't open it, or you will need to pay a fee for replacement keys. Here is Sentry's contact information for Customer Service:

For your convenience, I've listed their Customer Service phone and fax numbers:

Customer Service: 1-800-828-1438 (hours are 8AM-6PM Monday through Friday, Eastern time, but are subject to change). Fax: 585-381-2940

Here is an electronic copy of the owner's manual for this safe, if you don't have one; this includes all instructions:

To order replacement keys, if necessary, follow instructions on the page below, and you can request 'Express Delivery' for an additional charge which will get the keys to you within 48 hours (business days only):

I wish you much good luck with your safe and please let me know if you have any further questions by clicking 'Reply' before rating. If my answer was helpful, please take a moment to provide Positive Feedback (smiley face). Thank you!

Best regards,