Karel1
Karel1, Just know a little something
Experience:  about everything
24118
Type Your Question Here...

My 6 year old son appears to have allergies, which is what

My 6 year old son appears to have allergies, which is what we are determining every time he starts with this awkward dry cough with no other symptoms. So, he now takes zyrtec daily, and once he starts will more coughing, I give him the max dose and usually after about a week the cough goes away. His cough has been lingering for a few weeks now...and yesterday he came home sick from school with a fever of 100.2, eyes slightly watery and headache pain towards the back of his neck. Do these other symptoms still sound like allergies?? I'm thinking it's best to see the pediatrician today!?!?!?

Anyone who runs even the slightest fever. This is not allergies. You never run a fever with allergies. So he aparently is running a fever from a slight cold. Also when children have coughing coming and going it also can be a sign of asthma. Especially if he coughs more at night. I suggest you buy even if its allergies. The vicks or cvs brand cool mist humidifier. You fill the tub with water and add a tablespoon of table salt. Place in room at night ,close door 3/4 the way. The only maintenance is to change the filters on top of humidifer evey 3 months. The vicks pediatric size is good even for adults. The vicks one sells for $40 and a 3 pack of filters runs $10. The cvs brand sells for $22. Both can be purchased in local drugstores or on amazon.com. Also where he sleeps at night place a plastic bag on the rug on the floor at night. Take all furry animals out of room. If the cough persist consider seeing a pulmonary doctor to rule out the start of asthma. Singulair is also a great medicine to be on for allergic type symptoms.Either way he should see the pediatrician today.