Anna
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
6012901
Type Your Question Here...

What fertilizer should I use on confederate jasmine? Leaves

What fertilizer should I use on confederate jasmine? Leaves are yellowing. This is growing on an arbor and the plants are 12 years old. Location is in Alabama

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. I'm sorry to hear your jasmine is having difficulties. Yellowing leaves have several different causes, so some additional information will be useful.

Are the leaves yellowing uniformly throughout, or along the veins first, or on the edges first?

Are leaves all over the plants yellowing or only in certain areas?

Has your rainfall been normal this spring?

Thank you.

Anna
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

only in certain areas. Rain has been above normal. What kind of fertilizer can I use?

Thank you for getting back to me. The yellowing of leaves is called chlorosis. The reason i asked so many questions is that many different things can cause such yellowing. Possible causes include excess water or poor drainage, injured or crowded roots, soil high in alkalinity, and nutrient deficiencies. Deficiencies may be the result of an insufficient amount in the soil or because the nutrients are unavailable due to a too alkaline soil.

If a deficiency is the cause of the problem, fertilizers can help. If something else is the cause, fertilizers will do no good. Iron, manganese, and zinc deficiencies are most common. Examine the jasmine to see which parts turned yellow first. Iron chlorosis starts on the young, outer leaves and later spreads to the older leaves. Manganese and zinc deficiencies begin on the inner or the older leaves.

Regardless of the cause, it's important that your soil be somewhat acidic. Much of the soil in Alabama is alkaline, and that makes it difficult for confederate jasmine to absorb nutrients. the first thing to do is make the soil more acidic. You can do this by using Miracid weekly during the growing season. Miracid is available in most nurseries and garden centers. it also contains iron, so using it on a regular schedule may solve the problem. If it doesn't help, you can use a fertilizer called Ironite. It is available as a soil fertilizer or a liquid you spray on the leaves. Here is an online source:

http://www.ironite.com/

Unless the yellowing leaves are caused by excessive water or damage to the roots, these fertilizers should solve the problem. If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your jasmine will soon be green and healthy.

Anna