Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...

how do i get a stain off a linen shirt

how do i get a stain off a linen shirt
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Linen is very porous so it absorbs anything that spills on it. Have to act quickly so as the spot does not have the time to settle on the shirt. If you choose to use a product off the market sold in stores, read the directions carefully on the package as well as the shirt tag as it may spell out why they may not be good for this type of material.

To remove a stain my research shows a good option recommended is to use white vinegar or talcum powder right on the stain and letting sit an entire night. Also can try a little club soda. Doing either of these methods should always be tested in a area of the shirt that is not seen to see if it is working. Bleach is defentlty not recommended.

Here is a list to work with to see if the stain in question is on the fabric as well as recommendations on how to possibly remove: