Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Teacher
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
Type Your Question Here...

Is it true that XXXXX XXXXX made a decision to never

Is it true that XXXXX XXXXX made a decision to never take The Holy Communion in church services? If so, would that mean that either he was not a Christian or that he thought he was NOT a sinner that needed forgiveness?
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to try to help on this question.

Washington was an Episcopal who belonged to several different churches. While it is not noted that he took communion, this was actually not unheard of at this time, especially those who were affluent. Many of the wealthy citizens would leave before communion or not attend the communion services (usually had communion once a month in the Episcopal Church). This was usually just to not be seen in a kneeling position (considered lowly for those who were affluent).

There is no written documentation from Washington as to the specifics of this so, in regards XXXXX XXXXX second question about not being a Christian or believing he was not a sinner, any answer on that would be purely speculation.

On his deathbed he did not summon a minister or a priest (if any meaning can be written into that either) but was given an Episcopalian burial along with masonic rights.

I hope this helps. If you have any followup, just click on Reply to Expert.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If he was given an Episcopalian burial along with masonic rights, then that means that he was a Mason, right?

Do Episcopalians believe that all mankind are sinners and that Jesus Christ is The Son of God and that Jesus Christ died for the sins of mankind and resurrected from the dead, defeated death, and is alive today, and that a person is only saved from one's sins and Hell by believing in Jesus Christ alone and that Jesus Christ is the only way to Heaven?

Yes, he was a Mason during his lifetime, as were many of the founding fathers.

The Episcopalian Church is an offshoot of the Catholic Church and hold many of the basic beliefs of the Catholic Church...

At its heart is the following beliefs

• Jesus Christ is fully human and fully God. He died and was resurrected from the dead.
  • Jesus provides the way of eternal life for those who believe.
  • God the Father, God the Son (Jesus Christ), and God the Holy Spirit, are one God, and are called the Holy Trinity ("three and yet one").
  • The Old and New Testaments of the Bible were written by people "under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit." The Apocrypha are additional books that are used in Christian worship, but not for the formation of doctrine.
  • The two great and necessary sacraments are Holy Baptism and Holy Eucharist.
  • Other sacramental rites are confirmation, ordination, marriage, reconciliation of a penitent, and unction.
  • Belief in heaven, hell, and Jesus' return to glory.
  • Emphasis on living out the Great Commandment to love God and neighbor fully

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, but can a Christian really be a Mason as well? Doesn't Masonry deny and contradict the clear teaching of Biblical Scripture on numerous issues and doesn't Masonry also require people to engage in activities which The Bible condemns? Yet some people will say that there are some people that are truly good and godly people and true believers in Jesus Christ that are also Freemasons. Yet these same people will also say that Freemasonry at its core is not a Christian organization and they recommend that a Christian should not be part of any organization with any connection to Freemasonry.

These are some deep philosophical issues that you bring up with no clear answer, unfortunately. I will use my own great-grandfather as an example. He was a devout Christian and I went to church with him and my great-grandmother on a regular basis - he took communion and I always thought of him as being a really religious man.

I did not even know he was a Mason until his death. I had seen some of the symbols in his bedroom but did not realize he had been a practicing Mason for 40 years or more before his death.

There are some who look down on the FreeMasons since they are a "secret society" and there are some who believe that the two can go hand in hand.

In order to be a freemason, you must make a pledge of belief in a Supreme Being and the immortality of the soul. They do not follow an certain religion, however.

So, the question would be, could someone like Washington both be a freemason (and enjoy the friendships and contacts this entailed) as well as Christian? Some would be able to make this separation while others would not - it is not known for sure which is true of Washington as almost nothing is known about his true religious feelings and beliefs.

I am not a pastor. Probably the best person to speak with in regards XXXXX XXXXX own faith and beliefs would be a trusted religious leader.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just one last question, you said that XXXXX XXXXX belonged to several different churches. Can you identify the churches that XXXXX XXXXX belonged to? If you don't know all of them, can you please just list as many as you can? Thank you for your assistance.

Christ Church in Alexandria, VA
PoHick Church

were two I was able to track down for you.