Sijad H.
Sijad H., Consultant
Experience:  Jack of all trades. I know a little bit about a lot of bit.
Type Your Question Here...

My apartment walls are getting blackened. We do not use any

My apartment walls are getting blackened. We do not use any incense sticks etc at home. Our cooking system is electric and cook for around 1-2 hours. Den area is becoming quite black.
Hi and thank you for your question. I will be happy to assist you.

What does the black stuff look like? Does it look similar to this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's not that bad. Everything in the room (curtain, wall hanging) are getting little black.

Do you have central air at your apartment? If so take a look at the registers where the air comes out. Do they have the same black color?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have central air conditioning. Below air conditioning thermostat, there is a filter which was very black 3 weeks back. Maintainance person last time told that it need to be changed immediately and it is so bad that you may have to change new one after three weeks. Then later on new filters (or whatever that is called) should be fine. I could not understand what is happening?

It sounds like a mold type issue. I recommend calling your landlord and letting him know of the situation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I showed the maintainence person. He told that it is not mold. Because of excess cooking, your filter becomes black sooner. If yes, how soon we should keep changing filter.

It is not clear can cooking cause walls and everything else becoming darker.

What types of foods are you cooking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Vegetables, Pulse, type of indian bread called chapati made in a pan etc.

Then I do not believe the cooking is causing your blackened walls. Do you fry foods at all?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes but may be for 15 minutes on average daily

Ok. This may cause the filter to get clogged. You should replace your filters every 30 days. That is the reocmmendation that way your filters stay effective. Also, they make different types of filters ranging from basic filters to filters that catch the most contaminants in the air. I would switch to the higher end filters. Also if you have a scoop above your stove, there may be filters under it. Those can be taken out and cleaned.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Even though we change the filter under AC control regularly, is it important to change filter above the stove as well. Is there a particular reason filter in my apartment gets clogged fast but not most other people in my apartment complex?

Yes it is important. The stove filter is the first filter that filters the vapors from your cooking. If that filter is clogged it will spread everything instead of absorbing it.
As far as your filter getting clogged faster, it may be because of the type of filter in your home.