Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Teacher
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
Type Your Question Here...

I am scheduled to leave on a 2 week round trip cruise to Hawaii

I am scheduled to leave on a 2 week round trip cruise to Hawaii from Los Angeles on Carnival, departing 4-14-13. Considering how far this ship will be from land on it's way to and from Hawaii, I am very uneasy about going on it in view of all the Carnival problems. The fact that the Titanic sunk on April 14th is not a factor.

I'm also not comfortable with North Korea's threat to send a missile to Hawaii.

If I cancel, I could lose a lot of money. Do you think that I should think more positively and just go on the cruise and suppress my fears?
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of the difficulty you find yourself in. How many other family/friends will be traveling with you?
Hello, my name is Greg.

First of all, you are not alone with these thoughts related to cruises. I myself recently booked a cruise with Carnival cruise lines that departs at the end of July in the Caribbean (goes out from Galveston). This was done right before the couple of incidents that occurred with Carnival.

However, I am still looking forward to the trip and actually believe that Carnival is going to really be looking over their issues that occurred and making changes to the benefit of everyone that cruises.

Carnival has been in business for many years and their ships leave ports with many people every single week. Besides these two incidents this spring, there have been very few major incidents with their fleet.

As for North Korea - most experts agree that this is a new young leader trying to make a name for himself with his own people (as he is only 27 years old) and the way those dictators work is to rule their people by fear. While you cannot guarantee that something might not break out in that area, the likelihood that North Korea has any type of missile capable of reaching Hawaii is obsolete.

I wish that I could tell you that everything would be just fine but that is impossible - however, I am really confident that if you allow yourself to relax, you will have a wonderful time on your cruise. I know someone who just returned from their cruise on Carnival and they had, as they described, one of the best weeks of their lives (snorkeling with dolphins, etc).

I wish you all the best and know that you will make the best choice your are comfortable with as it is your decision.

If you need any followup, feel free to reply back and have a wonderful week!
Mr. Gregory White, Teacher
Experience: M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you! That was very helpful!

I am so glad to hear you were happy and so hope you have a truly wonderful trip! Feel free to return and let me know how it was - help me prepare for things that I might need to know for my own upcoming July cruise with them.