Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...

Is yogurt, cheese?

Is yogurt, cheese?
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Your basic yogurt is considered a dairy product as much as cheese would be. While both are dairy, yogurt is fermentation of milk while cheese conducts curding instead. Some cheeses can be made by straining the
moisture out of yogurt.

A relationship can be found in products like yogurt cheese. This is created by straining the yogurt in a cloth or some type of filter to remove the whey. The finished product is something between yogurt and cheese.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mydoctor advised me to avoid cheese , but not dairy. Did he mean to have me avoid yogurt as well?

Hate to offer you my opinion without checking with some of the health professionals on our site. Check with your doctor and see if some forms of dairy other than cheese are ok. Maybe a lighter form that is easier to digest as cheese can be heavy at times where yogurt and lighter milk a bit easier.