Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Consultant
Experience:  25+ Years in the field
23511658
Type Your Question Here...

where do wasps g in the winter

where do wasps g in the winter

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Hello. My name is Michael. I can help you with your question.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Your question is very interesting. Because although most people observe this, they don't give it a second thought. Your question tells me that you are very aware of your surroundings because you are absolutely right.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

The nest that the queen lays her eggs in during the spring is a very small nest that she has built herself.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

The larva grows and eventually results in worker-wasps who start expanding the nest.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

By the time summer comes, there will be thousands, and the number increases and the nest expands proportionately.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

The adult reproductives will eventually leave the colony to mate, with the males dying not long after mating in the fall.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

By the fall, most of the workers die from the decreasing temperatures as well.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Unlike bees, wasps have not developed ways to store food, so most of them are killed off by the cold weather.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

The only survivors are the newly fertilized queens who build up fat reserves, which sustains them during the winter while they live inside crevices or in human dwellings.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

And then in April or May, the new queen starts the process again, searching for a location. Wasps never re-use a previous nest.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

This whole process also explains why so many people find the nest at the end of the season when it's empty - because that's when it's largest.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

It's exceptionally rare for wasp colonies to survive the winter, but it does happen occasionally in tropical climates.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I hope this answers your question. If so, please remember to rate my level of service with the icons below. Let me know if you have any questions.