Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Extensive experience in research and problem solving.
23511658
Type Your Question Here...

where do wasps g in the winter

where do wasps g in the winter
Category: General
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Hello. My name is Michael. I can help you with your question.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Your question is very interesting. Because although most people observe this, they don't give it a second thought. Your question tells me that you are very aware of your surroundings because you are absolutely right.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

The nest that the queen lays her eggs in during the spring is a very small nest that she has built herself.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

The larva grows and eventually results in worker-wasps who start expanding the nest.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

By the time summer comes, there will be thousands, and the number increases and the nest expands proportionately.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

The adult reproductives will eventually leave the colony to mate, with the males dying not long after mating in the fall.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

By the fall, most of the workers die from the decreasing temperatures as well.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Unlike bees, wasps have not developed ways to store food, so most of them are killed off by the cold weather.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

The only survivors are the newly fertilized queens who build up fat reserves, which sustains them during the winter while they live inside crevices or in human dwellings.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

And then in April or May, the new queen starts the process again, searching for a location. Wasps never re-use a previous nest.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

This whole process also explains why so many people find the nest at the end of the season when it's empty - because that's when it's largest.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

It's exceptionally rare for wasp colonies to survive the winter, but it does happen occasionally in tropical climates.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I hope this answers your question. If so, please remember to rate my level of service with the icons below. Let me know if you have any questions.

Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience: Extensive experience in research and problem solving.
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.