Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

My friend (single) works as Sr research Engineer in CFD (Computational

My friend (single) works as Sr research Engineer in CFD (Computational fluid dynamics) and combustion field for 6 years and considered expert. His major experience is in the area of Internal combustion engines and gas turbine simulations within these fields. He makes ~80 K on 40 hr job with 10 vacations per year. He does not like to travel much (6 times per year), giving sales oriented speech. His requirements will remain little for whole life. He wants 1-4 months free time to do things for his hobbies. Therefore, he is ok with salary cut to 50-70 K (Anyway, with more salary, you pay more to Uncle Sam) No work is below his dignity but he likes to go safe. He is considering following options. 1. Negotiating with his company for 1 -2 month free time and adjusting salary. Even extra 5-10% cut beyond 10 month salary will work. He doubts that they will accept. 2. As he has worked on project (did not deal directly with client) of major companies. Trying to get directly a project in CFD or combusion as a freelancer. Only technical experts can do sales in his area because of very technical nature. 3. Developing business partner relationship with his current company but doubts on their acceptance. Developing such relationship with other companies of the field. They get project and take little commission and allow him to work. 4. Working in Engineering college as faculty. Pressure for research grants is quite high in engineering. He may have to work excessive hours during 10 months. 5. Working in Community college (and getting 3 months off) or Working in School as mathematics or physics teacher (working less hours every day and getting summer vacation) What are the reasonable options to satisfy his lifestyle preference and safe approach?
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will like to wait for 1-2 more days to see if some career counselor might reply

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Hello. I think working as a Math and Physic teacher is the best way to be able to have free more time. He can then take short time contract in engineering from time to time as a freelancer to supplement his revenue.

He sure can ask his company for more flexible work time but many manager are stubborn and don't understand how an engineer mind work. There is places with better human resources management that allow that, he can just apply at those places placing his conditions while still keeping his current work while searching.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I really appreciate your suggestion. How difficult or time consuming it is for an engineer with six year experience on different client project to directly get project from clients in today's US economy. He lives in a moderate town rather than business hub like new york or Chicago.

For many kind of engineering jobs, not easy as there is a lot of engineer on the market right now but for his field, he can surely find work if he apply at a lot of company requiring his skills.

With the new PS4 and Xbox near to be launched he might even look into video games studio as water movement will require to be better modeled to look realistically on par with other parts of the games.

He sure could try to work at GE. Being big allow to have employee working less than 40 hours/week.

He can do aerodynamic/hydrodynamic study for a lot of products (vehicles, drones).

He can work on better wood burning systems (there is lot of small and medium manufacturer of those).

He can work on water and air flow in large architectural project (building or infrastructure).

He may have to go out of his town from time to time but the trick is to include the condition of the work contract right at the start. Getting contract is not much different than searching for a job, he just have to apply at a lot of places. I would advise not to let go the current job until he get a large enough amount of client or at least some recurring ones. From there, if he do a good job at a competitive price, the phone start to ring.
Martin, Engineer
Experience: i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting