Michael
Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
70951075
Type Your Question Here...

I have limited directional skills and constantly lose my car

I have limited directional skills and constantly lose my car in parking lots. I make a note of the landmarks and the section of the lot (if they identify it with a label) but I still have great difficulty, even if I draw myself a map.

My car is a 1998 Camry, does not have an antenna, and no security system/beeper.

What do you suggest?
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Sorry to hear that you have this problem as many people often cannot locate their automobile after a visit to their local shopping center. Your situation though is a bit different so I have spent sometime tonight to try to research some ideas for which to try.

1. Voice record information of where you parked. You can use your smartphone if you own one or purchase a small recorder. Record detailed information to play back when you are ready to return to your car.

2. Cell phone message. Leave a message on your phone to help remind you where you parked.

3. Park in the same spot each time you visit the mall so that it can become routine for you.

4. If you own a smartphone, there are a number of apps to help you. CarParkingPlace is one that is recommended. Also WhereDidi Park

5. Using a digital camera to take picture of where you parked.

6. Try placing something on your car to help spot it in a lot. Bumper sticker, license plate frame, or something inside such as a stuffed animal or seat cushion.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Michael -- these are all creative suggestions. I look forward to giving them a try. Thank you for your ideas. One of them has got to work!

Your very welcome!