Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Teacher
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
Type Your Question Here...

Grammar. "The operational relationship would lie with the

Grammar. "The operational relationship would lie with the company." Is it 'lie' or 'lay'?
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help with this question today.

The main difference between lay and lie is whether there is a direct object. If there is not then we use "lie" - I would lie down on the sofa. If there is a direct object than we would use "lay" - I am going to lay the book down on the desk.

In addition, lie is used more used when discussing something that is reclining while lay is a verb that means to put something somewhere - in this case we are putting the operational relationship with the company.

In the question above, we have a direct object (operational relationship) and therefore we would use lay and the best answer would be

"The operational relationship would lay with the company."

All the best. Feel free to request me anytime. Just put "For TeacherGreg" at the front of your post so it is quickly routed to me and the other professionals know you are seeking my services.