Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

My wife has run a certified in-home day care center for over

My wife has run a certified in-home day care center for over 10 years from our house. She's tired of it and would like to get another job, but she's been out of the job market for long time and doesn't know where to begin. She's applied for a position at the public library multiple times working with small kids within the library. It seemed like a natural fit but it hasn't worked out. My wife has a Master's and Phd. in developmental psych. She's done research at U of Md. Hospital on infants with Failure to Thrive. She's basically looking for a job helping people and has modest financial requirements (we're basically looking not to take a pay cut - she grosses about 40K/ 18K after expenses). We haven't been able to find anyone to actually discuss her situation with who does career counseling. Who can help?
Hello. Changing job is never easy, especially after 10 years.

She could become a teacher or an at home tutor. I could see her work at companies human resources department.

Perhaps she have others interest that she would like to pursuit in totally different field.
Martin, Engineer
Experience: i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
She needs a transition strategy that covers a couple of things. Figuring out what she may be qualified for in the non profit area given her background, figuring out how and where to find these positions in our area, figuring out how to best describe and market her daycare experienceto her best advantage.
Hi. I'm not sure where you guys are living, but I think the first place she should start is to contact a university, like the University of Maryland, and ask if they offer career counseling for anyone (not just students). The University of Maryland does -- and since she already has a relationship with the school, maybe she can get a discount on their services.

Of course, if you don't live in Maryland anymore, you should try a university near where you live.

In my county, the local unemployment office has a partnership with career counselors. In fact, if you want unemployment checks, you must visit these counselors. See if your county has the same type of arrangement. These services are often free.

As for being a librarian, in most states you need a master's degree to work in as a librarian (even a children's librarian). If she were interested in that, she could get a second master's. That's probably the only way she'd get her foot in the door at a public library. (Although once she has her two master's and a PhD, she could easily be an academic librarian too!)

In most states, too, you need a master's degree (with at least one degree in education) to be a teacher in a public school. However, that's usually not the case for parochial schools -- so that's an avenue she can try. Still, I think they would be looking for someone with a degree (bachelor's or higher) in education.

She has tons of experience, but it seems she is looking for a career change. In that case, she should probably start by visiting a local university first. She will, as you've noted already, probably need help in learning how to re-package her current skill set and acquire any new skills that may be necessary.

If you'd like more help, please write back and I'll see what I can find for you in your area.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your advice. I called University of Maryland, and their career counseling services focus only on figuring out what you like and what you are good at. No job placement services. I think I need to be able to identify agencies and environments that hire people like me. I would also need to update my resume and interviewing skills, since it's been a while. If you have any ideas on these areas, that would be great.

Hi. It's a shame the University wasn't more helpful.

As for the resume, start by going to your local public library. See what books they have on resumes and interviews. While you're there, ask the librarian if they subscribe to any career databases. I'm not talking solely about job sites, but rather about sites that help you look for a job. At my library, we subscribe to sites like Job Now and, which have online assistance for job-hunting.

Also check out the site called Work Bloom, which can help you with cover letters and the like.

Actually, let me show you my library's job and career page. You won't be able to use all the items there if you don't live in our district, but you can use some of them.

I hope that helps.