Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...

Over 2000 yrs ago, there were no White people in Africa. How

Over 2000 yrs ago, there were no White people in Africa. How is it that Jesus Christ and Moses are suppose to be White? Did they come from Europe?
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

The question of those mentioned in the bible in terms of color of their skin may always be a matter for personal belief. 2,000 years of western art for example has Jesus white, handsome, probably with long hair and an ethereal glow.

Academic scholars have debated this question and often have different opinions.

For example, here is a 2004 BBC report that offers various reasons and opinions on the topic:

Here is an interesting report that was done using a field of science called forensic anthropology that was conducted by British scientists and assisted by Israeli archeologists:

Since there is no definitive description in the bible on Jesus and his appearance, the Archdiocese of Washington has their take on what they believe is the possible reason: