General Jay
General Jay, Problem Solver
Experience:  General contractor, project manager, excellent problem solving skills, retired professional athlete.
14716023
Type Your Question Here...

I am not sure where to post this question. I have been experimenting

I am not sure where to post this question. I have been experimenting with making glass beads. The beads are coming out well but I am having a problem removing them from the mandrel. I tried 2 different types of bead release. One the glass won't stick to it at all until the bead release fries off. The other the glass will stick to it but when I try and remove the bead....it crumbles. I have tried soaking them in water first which did not help. I know I am doing something wrong but I can't figure out what.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

A family member of mine has been into making glass beads for a couple years and this is one of the methods I have seen used.

I have seen this done with a wooden work bench, but a spare piece of wood will work just as well. Drill a hole in the piece of wood large enough for the mandrel to fit through, but small enough that the bead will not pass. Stick the long end of the mandrel through the hole first so that the bed is resting on the top surface of the wood or bench. Use a hammer and gently tap squarely on the top of the mandrel. The vibration will eventually loosen the bead.

Let me know if this works. If not, feel free to follow-up for additional suggestions.