pdheslin
pdheslin, Consultant
Experience:  20+ years of internet site creation and search engine optimization. Dozens of search tools at my disposal.
60622861
Type Your Question Here...

The Bible says in Mark 9:14-29 that a father came to Jesus

Customer Question

The Bible says in Mark 9:14-29 that a father came to Jesus Christ and asked Jesus Christ to help his son from a deaf and dumb spirit. Jesus Christ asks the father the question: "Can you believe?" In which the father responds "I believe. Help me with my unbelief." After this point, before The Bible says that Jesus Christ healed the father's son from the deaf and dumb spirit, The Bible says in verse Mark 9:25 the wording "When Jesus saw that the people came running together." And that is what brings me to my question. My question is this: Does the wording "When Jesus saw that the people came running together" have any significance? In other words, was the event of the people running together the deciding factor for Jesus Christ to heal the father's son for some reason or did the father have sufficient faith? The only reason why I am wondering about this is because I was just wondering why the wording "When Jesus saw that the people came running together" is put between the incident of where the father answers Jesus Christ's question and says that he believes but asks Jesus Christ to help him with his unbelief and the incident of where Jesus Christ heals the father's son. Thank you for your assistance.
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. Bible interpretation can often be multiple. My personal view is that the whole thing is related to consensus reality:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consensus_reality

Jesus can handle reality in both direction. He can read it like us but can also act on it (allowing miracles). The more that can believe around, the easier the reality can be changed. the part: "people came running together" indicate that all those united their mind all at the same time on the same possibility (the miracle).

If the father was not able to believe enough (or if enough unbelieving witness are present), it would cause a miracle failure like the Simon Magus incident with St-Peter (related in the apocryphal Acts, the act of Peter):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Magus#Acts_of_Peter
Martin, Engineer
Experience: i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Expert:  pdheslin replied 1 year ago.
Let's look at the scene that was set for us.

When Jesus entered the scene, the crowd was already there. They must have been loud and arguing, because Jesus asked them what they were arguing about. The father told Jesus what was happening.

We see later in the scripture that the dicisples had been trying to heal the boy, to no avail. At that time, only the disciples were attempting healings in His name. So you can imagine what the shouting and arguing had been about - whether or not the disciples had the ability or authority, to heal the boy.

You can imagine Jesus rolling his eyes and saying, "Really? How many times do I have to teach you this, before you get it? I'm not going to be around forever you know, so you better appreciate this education while you can get it."

Seeing that same crowd coming, he demonstrates not just for his disciples and not just for the father of the boy.....but for ALL the people to see, that not by words alone, and not by invoking His name alone, but by prayer, grace is received and healing is given.

I don't take the meaning of the scripture to mean, that if you have faith, you have to have the crowd around to receive it. I take it to mean that Jesus demonstrated these miracles for all to see, not just the disciples. His comments about not being with them forever put the emphasis on the teaching, and the example he was setting. It ended up being a lesson for ALL, not just a "chosen few".
pdheslin, Consultant
Experience: 20+ years of internet site creation and search engine optimization. Dozens of search tools at my disposal.
Expert:  pdheslin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so very much for the accept.
The story is a beautiful one, which shows both Christ's divinity (healing) and his humanity (his frustration at the situation.) This particular scripture has been so encouraging to me, because even in the moments that I have my doubts I can still pray for more faith. And my prayers are always answered!

Best wishes,
Pam