SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

I would like to aerate my lawn for the first time since purchasing

I would like to aerate my lawn for the first time since purchasing my home in 2003. At the same time, I have some weeds and clovers that are starting to pop up since the temperatues are getting warmer. I need some advice on what to do and the order to do it in. Please help. I live in Birmingham, AL.
Category: General
Expert:  Silicon Savant replied 3 years ago.
Hi there happy to help.

Do you know the type of grass you have? Also is there a Lowes, or Home Depot near by?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bermuda. And yes there is both.
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 3 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX you for your question.

To be brief, lawn aeration of Bermuda grass is best done in the late spring, early summer when rate of growth of the grass is very very fast. Some people do this later in the year say during the fall, but at this point if grass growth has slowed it may mean weeds can take over. The best time again is late spring, early summer when the soil is still moist, the grass is growing rapidly. Too early and you risk some damage to the partially dormant roots. The weeds and clovers usually are overtaken by the Bermuda once it gets into its prime growth.

The easiest way to do this is to rent an aerator from home depot or your local home improvement store, each of them should have lawn aerators for rent.

Tip: PLAN IN ADVANCE. Everyone who doesn't own an aerator will want to rent so keep in mind there may be limited supply.

Basically there are spike and plug aerators, depending on the type of soil you have a plug aerator is best because of the removal ,where a spike just STICKS a hole, a plug pulls a small amount of soil up and creates these channels for root growth, air and water to help it recover.

Easiest way to aerate is to mow the day prior then water the lawn very well if you can, or perhaps plan on doing it if you spot rain in the forecast. Then ideally you would aerate starting the following morning the when the grass is moist and cool(ish) not scalding hot at high noon.

So after the prep the day before, you basically just run it over your entire lawn to get full coverage in 1 direction, then do another full pass over the lawn but this time do it 90 degrees to the direction of the first pass. We do this to ensure full coverage and adequate aeration. In other words cover the whole lawn lengthwise, and then go back and cover it widthwise.

If you like you can fertilize lightly, however not everyone does this. Some believe it helps the recover of the lawn from the aeration. Use this link here to find your local home depot stores and to call to see what the schedule looks like for renting an aerator.

Doing this is a really cheap and easy way to keep a lawn looking super fresh all the time with great growth, especially if the lawn is used - it helps keep it healthy and lush.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there anything I can do this time of year in order to prepare my lawn for spring? I can already see lots of clovers sprouting up and weeds scattered arouses the yard. This weekend is going to be our first warm 75ish weekend in a long time. I was thinking of spot spraying the weeds or spreading granules to help prevent the wild growth in the future. What are your thoughts with this? Scott
Good info Scott.

I think if you wanted to spot treat now that would be a great time to do so, we still have a few weeks yet until the middle/end of spring is even here. I would do as you planned, but do keep in mind, your grass should take over that of the weeds once its growth is spurred into high gear.

I would say use this weekend to your advantage Scott, your choice of your preferred method. I would just continue to use what you have found works in the past for your particular lawn and climate - its great that you are planning ahead.

I am sure the lawn after aeration will be considerably more lush and green.
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist