SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

Can someone tell me if there are cross pollination issues if

Can someone tell me if there are cross pollination issues if I plant blueberry, raspberry and blackberry plants in the same plot?
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Just a few days ago, I purchased two strawberry plants which will be ready before long. With my other berry plants, I hope to have as good a crop as you hope to.

As for cross pollination of berry plants, my research shows that this happens only between varieties and not
species. Cross pollination will not affect this years crops but will affect the seeds for the following year. So basically you need to only be concerned if you plan to harvest the seeds for next year.

If you plan to have these berry plants for years to come, possibly separate so that seed for following year do not produce some odd berry combinations. You would though be safe this year by my research. Just comes down to the seeds for the future.
Michael, Librarian
Experience: 20+ years as information professional

Dave , Mike here - helping you with your gardening on tomatoes and other crop before with lifetime of farm experience behind me.

The only thing you need to worry about is that your blackberries are actually blackberries, and not the Jewel raspberries which are actually black. You will not otherwise have a cross pollination across berry species.

YOu do however need to be aware that your raspberry plants may "harass" the root systems of blueberries, they tend to really grow out a bit more and blueberries do considerably better undisturbed. Raspberries often encroach. So it would be best to space them just a bit or have the raspberries separated by the blackberries if you really want them tight to each other. This is important if you want them to thrive and is actually different from something like strawberries.

SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist