SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

Hi. This question could be for specialistMike. I am always

Customer Question

Hi. This question could be for specialistMike.
I am always checking my body fat with calipers but they are not that accurate.
I know there are more precise methods out there like one it is done under the water and another one they do an xray. I wonder wgich method is the best and where to get it done.

Thanks
Category: General
Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am a Moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. If I can help further, please let me know, otherwise, no need to reply. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 1 year ago.

Hey Alex! I am still working on the other question by the way - the one about the pickup, its super complex so I am working on the best way to word it.

I became very proficient at this as a physiology student, I even had access to the expensive time consuming methods. I will give you them in order of effectiveness.

Bod Pod - is your best method, this is wear you just sit in your boxers in the scan pod and it runs everything. The con to this is that it can be very expensive but it is the most accurate. Check with a local university, they should have one for students to "practice" with.

Next best is underwater weighing - it basically cancels out your body water and you do a formula with dry weight vs tank weight. This though can be very uncomfortable for some people because you sit hunched over in a tank, blowing out every single bit of air that you can. then you have to remain still until the scale stabilizes. I would do this one as far as cost if you cant find the bod pod.

Calipers - These are next best, XXXXX XXXXX variations can create a significant difference

BEI - Bio-electrical imepedance, basically measuring a very low current's resistance through your body. Fat conducts slower, along with lean mass thats faster - the "hand grips" though some scales have these - these are awful to be honest, they never take into account body water which can totally throw off the readings.

Local exercise physiology departments, athletic training offices on campus, public health schools on campus should all have access to these. You may need a kinesiology department in some cases though. Just call local schools and ask.

Also, I used to tell clients when I worked as a PT for a while, dont obsess over numbers in bodyfat, only go by what you see in the mirror and adjust training and diet as needed. Bodybuilders and physique competitors are never asked when they step on stage their bodyfat - so try to get in the habit of examining your physique using your own eyes and the mirror as your guide.

Don't forget to leave me a rating when you are finished. Hope you had a good weekend.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks for the answer Mike.

I cant find the underwater wighting anywhere in New York. is that a very unusual method?

thanks

No I would say it is very common though depending on the area you may actually be better off(and more accurate) if you found a bod pod.

If you look up any school that has anatomy, physiology, a sports performance program, or even a super high end sports performance place they should have it. Bod Pod is pretty expensive and as such the technology for hydrostatic weighing is sometimes favored, though not always. Any place worth its weight in tuition money that has an exercise physiology program, or a physiology program, or even something like a Division 1 school with athletics program will have this.

Any luck on this Alex?

Send me your zip I will see if I have some contacts(can't promise much but I can try).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ohh thanks Mike. 11102

by the way, have you worked on that answer about the openers?

if not no rush : )

Thanks Alex, I will see if I can find at least something.

As far as the opener question yes I have, its just so hard to explain in text without verbally explaining or showing a situational example which obviously is impossible in this case. Ill see if I can kick it over to you tonight. :)

Does the rest of the answer help with the original question regarding the accuracy of each type of BF testing? I want to be sure you are clear on them as they are really misrepresented sometimes to the general public.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yeah. I understood. I had heard about the underwater weighing method before. I just never found them in New York. : )

thanks

11102 is in Texas I think - I remember from another question of yours that you are in NY somewhere.

Double check the zip and leave me the name of the area and i will see whats out there.

Are you OK with DEXA(bod pod), the most accurate - or do you specifically want underwater weighing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no. 11102 is New York.

id rather the water weighting if the DEXA is too expensive : )

thx

Got it - found a DEXA(bod pod)

1230 York Avenue, New York, NY 10065

Rockefeller University - about 11 minutes from you Alex!

http://www.rockefeller.edu/ccts/metabolicassessment

Now for underwater weighing I found these - http://nyweightloss.org/ and http://www.nyorc.org/Obesity-Research-Center-Out-Patient-Weight-Loss-Program.aspx which are the same facility.

Eventhough your goal is not weight loss - I would imagine they would take your money for a simple weigh-in Smile. Give them a call tomorrow !

Hows that!? I am actually really happy to find these for you - not everyone has any sort of "close" access to them, but these are great.

SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Excellent! Thanks

My pleasure Alex. Just make sure that you don't focus so much on a number - make sure you are focusing on the changes you are seeing in the mirror when you modify your diet or your training.

And keep in mind it until you get into really low(almost unhealthy) bodyfat levels, changes can take a couple weeks at a time to see a difference.

ALSO, keep in mind that if you are trying to gain muscle, the optimal range of bodyfat is usually around 9 and 12 for most people. I personally gain best around 10 percent, most people are around 12 percent - its a hormonally optimal level of bodyfat.

Looking forward to working with you more man.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

by the way Mike, I am having libido issues. possibly caused by the use of sertraline, which is used for anxiety.

I started taking tribulus for that and havent seem much results.

do you have any suggestions?

thx

You mean as far as supplementation Alex?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. Or changes in the lifestyle/ alternative therapies, etc anything that works

I am going to treat this as a followup question, I need you to rate it as one as well for me. Again, costs you nothing further due to being a subscription customer.

So there are a few things conducive to getting ripped that are conducive to having libido consistency. You should know that many times during contest or show prep, many bodybuilders end up with a bit of a lower libido, again this is not only due to focusing on OTHER things(key point), but can also be reflective of dietary intake(key point) and in many cases bodyfat levels(key point). I need you to double check your diet, make sure your fat intake is adequate, and make sure overall caloric intake is high enough that you are maintaining muscle, or even slowly slowly gaining. This is an indication of a good anabolic situation within your body.

Next thing is sleep which is SUPER important. You need to be getting enough sleep, quality sleep for hormonal regulation but also recovery. People who get poor sleep, males anyway, have seen relationships between "morning wood" and good quality sleep.

So getting into supplementation there are a couple things you could try as you may just be a non responder to a straight tribulus product. ZMA products for those who are possibly deficient in zinc, over the period of a couple weeks can help increase T levels and thus improve libido. Optimum Nutrition makes a great ZMA product. As does AI Nutrition, which I am about to go in to detail on.

You might actually want to try something from AISportsNutrition.com called perform. Its a blend designed not only for performance but hearing about this product the past couple of years, also can assist in libido across the board. This brand, AI, creates really nice quality products, I have used their sleep assistance product called 3Z with really impressive success.

And remember, most products worth their money can take a couple to a few weeks for the additive effects to accumulated.

As with any supplementation, just clear it with your doctor first. This goes for anything.