Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...

US ales of eyeglass. rx and non rxUS Sales Sunglasses rx

US ales of eyeglass. rx and non rx
US Sales Sunglasses rx and non rx

bought from internet vs. offline retail
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

In 2012, a study was done by the industry site "Vision Monday" that conducted a detailed study on eyewear sold online as well as in stores.

From their study:

Approximately 32 percent of people using the internet to assist in their last purchase of eyewear actually made the purchase directly online. By category: eyeglasses (2.4 percent), OTC readers (3 percent), plano sunglasses (4.3 percent) and contact lenses (16.4 percent)… It is likely that close to 1.5 million to 1.7 million pairs of Rx eyeglasses were purchased online during the 12-month period ending December 2011.”

Here is the complete study for your review:

Here is also a study conducted by Essilor of America, Inc. and produced by First Vision Media Group:

While the vast majority of consumers still purchase eyewear in the traditional dispensary or retail setting, online eyewear sales are making slow but steady progress. Analysts say current online eyewear sales represent less than 3% of the market, however they project that online sales of prescription eyeglasses, over-the-counter (OTC) reading glasses, and prescription and non-prescription sunglasses will eventually represent approximately 10% to 15% of the market.

Here is the study for your review:

As for actual brick and mortar stores, here is the 2012 report that has the top 50 in terms of sales:
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Excellent work, I will most definitely use you again. I have oddball questions like that all to often.