P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  45 years old, retired Marine Officer, current attorney
11181181
Type Your Question Here...

Hello, I am applying for a management position; I have 10

I am applying for a management position; I have 10 of experience and an MBA but I don't have no experience. I am sure they will ask something like " do you believe you qualify for this position with no management experience"

I don't really know what to say, any thought ?
Category: General
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you tell me what you mean by

I have 10 of experience and an MBA but I don't have no experience.

That sounds contradictory...do you mean to say you have 10 years of experience but no management experience?

Can you tell me what your experience is in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry for the confusion.

Correct I have 10 years of experience in the field and an MBA but it seems like impossible to get an opportunity to move up.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thanks

Tell me a bit about your experience please.

Specifically, what types of jobs and duties have you had over your career?

And what types of interactions with co-workers in your field (eg did you work at a job with several other peers with whom you have worked with)

Have you worked on "projects" requiring you to work closely with others?

How bout outside of work...can you talk about situations where you had to work with (and perhaps lead) others. For example, church, school, social...

I'm really looking at what may be in you background that we can use to highlight your ability to work with (lead) others.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am network admin and I manage all the projects at this location (hospital) and coordinate the daily operations, I have an extensive experience and electrical engineering degreE. Because I realized my management experience issue, I just got a Corporate MBA to enahance and develop my leadership/management skills.

This is an IT management position within the same company but in another facility

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
thank you

I have a few ideas.

I need to step away for approx 45 mins. If ok with you I will type up answer when I return
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, thanks

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

A few things to consider.

A job interview is very much like a “first date”. For the employer, it is a chance to see the applicant in person. To spend time with them...would you like to work with this person? To interact with them regularly? Will they “fit” in the organization.

The impressions that the employer gets will go a long way to answer these questions.

I want to address your question right up front

do you believe you qualify for this position with no management experience"

My thoughts are that the contents of your answer (the actual words you use) are FAR less important than how the question is answered (your tone/tenor/body language/eye contact/etc).

Just like on a first date when the couple is trying to get an idea of who this person is...do I want to spend more time with them...the employer is looking to how you answer such questions much more than the exact phrasing you use.

Which leads to my first point.

1. Management is leadership. And leadership is an individual trait. A good leader is a good leader because they are a good leader. OK...that may not make sense...let me try it this way...

I served several years in the Marine Corps. And in the Marine Corps almost everyone is both a leader and a follower at the same time. I learned from this experience that leadership is individual...it comes from within. And no two leaders are alike...but the effective ones are the ones who harness their individual strengths.

Example: Some folks are naturally gregarious. And they can translate that into leadership by being closely involved in the day to day goings on of their subordinates. On the other hand some folks are naturally introverts. But I have seen many such folks use their strengths (intellect/reason/patience) to be incredibly effective leaders.

My point is that every good leader that I have seen (and I believe I have had the privilege to work for many great leaders) is good because they know themselves....they know their strengths and weaknesses. They are able to leverage their strengths and work around their weaknesses to be very effective.

All the above is to say that leadership is what you make it...but if you are constantly seeking to improve your leadership skills, you are likely on the right track.

2. Leadership is working with people. Getting folks to do what you want them to NOT because you want them to but because they want to.

If you have ever worked on a project with several people you have probably seen that one or two folks emerge as leaders. Think back...why was that? They are the folks that companies will kill to hire. The folks who are able to get a job done.

Partly it is innate...some folks are “naturals”. Partly it is learned. I do not consider myself a natural, but consider my self an effective leader based on years of experience following others, and learning from their example.

SO to get back to the question...

“ do you believe you qualify for this position with no management experience"

Hopefully your answer will be along the lines of “while I have never been assigned the position of management, I have exercised leadership over the last 10 years in ________ (fill in that blank)

3. Practice make perfect (or at least better). Practice leadership is good, when you have an opportunity.

But for your immediate goal, practice your interview skills! And not with your friends...they are not likely going to be objective (unless you truly believe they will be). Pick someone you know know whom you perhaps do not have a strong relationship with by think they may be an effective leader. Draft up a series of questions and have them interview you with a few of them at random. Let them critique you...then repeat this with someone else.

Again, think about that first date concept. You get one chance at this...you want to be relaxed. You want to know the company will be LUCKY to hire you...not the other way around.

At the end of the day, if you can show them that you are a good “first date” you may well get that job

Let me know if you have more questions...happy to assist if I can
P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience: 45 years old, retired Marine Officer, current attorney