Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...

I had a friend, who is an artist, do an oil painting on canvas. Is

I had a friend, who is an artist, do an oil painting on canvas.
Is it normal to give them a tip or just the price they asked for?
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Oil paintings on canvas are always quite beautiful and done professionally is something beautiful in your home, office, etc.

With any service done by a professional,, the practice is to tip for services rendered that you feel was done to your satisfaction. Professions such as hairdresser, waitress, and delivery person usually expect a tip for services offered to the customer.

As for a painter, my research shows that there really is not a set rule on tipping for work done. It sounds like
you commissioned the work and have set a price. The artist collects the entire cost charged so one would not have to feel obligated to tip. If you feel though that the work was well done and it took considerably long, then feel free to offer any amount you feel comfortable with. A small amount offered can let the painter know you appreciate his or her hard work.