Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...

Im in a town called Erlin, Taiwan. What is the cheapest way

I'm in a town called Erlin, Taiwan. What is the cheapest way to get to Taitung (aka Taidong) Taiwan? What is the fast way to get there?
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Driving from each town is estimated at 7 hours 51 minutes.

In terms of flying, here is information on flights with the lowest prices available:

Traveling by train can cut down the time by half. While not sure about which station is local to Erlin, there may be one local in order to take to Taitung:
Michael, Librarian
Experience: 20+ years as information professional
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried the destina link, and it doesn't work for Taitung and Taichung.

I tried typing not in the leaving box but the second one and Taichung does come up. If it will not work for you, please try farecompare as that may be a better one to use. Not sure about Erlin as you will needl closest airport in the area.

My guess would be that train service between the two could be both fastest as well as lowest in cost.

My name is Mike

I have just gotten off the phone with my friend Kai who is from Taipei, Taiwan and have asked him specifically his thoughts.

Do you have access to a telephone if i were to provide you with a number?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't have cell phone yet in Taiwan. I just got here 4 days ago. Any other ideas?

Please keep in mind I am a new expert with different information. Please take a moment to provide me a rating.

A landline will do, no cell phone needed.

Use this website , Taidong railway station is on the far right column. They will be able to give you the closest station to the town of Erlin you are staying in.

So Kai specifically said train will more than likely be the cheapest and the probably the fastest. Public transportation is "amazing" in Taiwan because many people cannot afford cars so they have beefed up the stations to make public transport easier.

Your other option is Taxi - which may be a hair more expensive, BUT has the potential to be faster. He shared with me that the trek should only be about 6 hours to taidong BUT that its not uncommon for traffic in Taiwan to get backup for up to FIVE hours.

Use the number on the train transport I gave you and find out where your closest rain option is - you can take a taxi to the station which will be cheap.

So Taxi vs Train - my advice is to take the train, at least you can stretch and walk to stay loose during the trip.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do have a VOIP number which is +X XXX XXX XXXX

Use your VOIP to call this morning. If nothing else, someone in town should be able to point you. Taitung(Taidong) 886-8-9229687

Kai also suggested the train, which will be very fast but without the risk of the traffic as I mentioned.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What about the high speed rail?

I think it would be an option perhaps as part of your trip but it doesn't go to Taidong.

So you would need to decide on your connecting rail and/or taxi to get to one of the stations. there are destination dropdown boxes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Who should I ask for when I call the number you gave me earlier?

I would just ask to speak to a booking agent - just explain that you are in Erlin and just explain to them you are looking to travel to taidong from Erlin - They will have a listing of all the close railways to you so you can get an idea of the dates and times for your trip so you can plan based on how much time you want to spend in Erlin.

They will know exactly what to tell you - its what they do on a daily basis Smile