SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

nutrition: im looking for a preferred nutritionist.

Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 1 year ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for your question.

I am a physiologist with a strong course background in life cycle and sports nutrition. I do not believe there are any Registered Dieticians on the site but considering nutritionist is highly variable word(often to the detriment of the client) I am happy to help you today.

How can I assist you today?

I am a physiologist with a strong course background in life cycle and sports nutrition. I do not believe there are any Registered Dietitians on the site but considering nutritionist is highly variable word(often to the detriment of the client) I am happy to help you today.

How can I assist you today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my name is XXXXX XXXXX 5'4" and 165lbs and my husband 5'9" and 285lbs. we both take psy meds that make us eat hungry and we are very poor. we like having a banana for breakfast. husband has high cholesterol and prediabetes. we have snacks for lunch like greek yogurt or turkey burger with ketchup and onion on whole wheat bun, fruit cup, popcorn, another banana (cheap). for dinner we have roasted chix breast with roasted potatoes or hummus with cucumbers, or eggs and sausage or chili with 1lb lean turkey meat. my husband has pint of haagen daaz icecream 3x/mth. can you suggest other snacks or dinners? we have sushi 3x/mth. my husband drinks a lot of diet 7 up like 1 bottle to 2 bottles/day. we sometimes get a sandwich for lunch and share.

Ok thank you 1 second while i finish up my answer for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my husband does no exercise b/c his meds give him anxiety and procrastion. me exercise and with treadmill 2-3miles/day. try to get husband to exercise a little on treadmill

Audrey, great information - thank you for all of it.

So first thing is seeing if you like the brand "Skinny Cow" icecream. Its ridiculously good tasting and has a considerably better nutrient profile than haagen daaz.

I would encourage your husband to try things like MIO(found at most if not all stores) water flavoring - diet sodas in some people can create a crazy amount of hunger - even when full. I used to drink a lot of diet soda, and once I eliminated it I was much less hungry. The flavors are great and it hits the sweet tooth soda drinkers have.

Now the meat of this answer is going to pair every well with a mild exercise program, especially for your husband. The ideal situation is to decrease his insulin resistance and exercise(which I am sure you both have heard) is a tremendous way to to this.

Aside from this it's very important to focus on foods with the least amount of processing as possible as well as foods that are fibrous, nutrient dense(meaning more vitamins per calorie on the label) and HIGH water content.

Nuts, nut butters are all great sources of quality fats that are essential for nutrient transport but also give a feeling of satisfaction after eating. Peanut and almond butter - these can be found for relatively cheap and are considered a good protein source as well.

It sounds like you guys are doing a great job. I have no doubts that the progress the both of you make really help in confirming the choices you have made for foods and diet.

Fruits like apples, oranges, blueberries(to mix with yogurt), melon(fibrous and water) and anything that is BRIGHT in color for fruits and veges would make excellent snacks. They provide a lot of good nutrition and more appropriately are filled with fiber and water, to help the both of you feel full longer. For just plain taking up space, rice cakes are great and low in calories.

It would also help to put some leafy stuff in with your other meals, so adding salad with some basic dressing(nothing too heavy) makes a big difference in the amount of satiety you have.

For meals, keep the lean meats(turkey, chicken, lean beef) and start adding complex carbs like oatmeal(for breakfast, very fiber rich), sweet potato, green beans, broccoli(tremendous food) anything green or bright. Lots of roughage to take up that space.

Its really important your husband include fiber and starts to exercise(even taking short walks each evening as these are the things that start to wittle away at the cholesterol levels. Fiber and activity - very important, and he has got to want it - if not for himself then for you his wife.
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist