CRogers
CRogers, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Information professional with 20+ years of experience.
27252228
Type Your Question Here...

Track Package To Ireland,

Customer Question

Track Package To Ireland,
Submitted: 1 year ago via HelpOwl.
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer. I am sorry but all of your question except the words "Track Package To Ireland" has vanished. If you can type out the details again, someone may be able to help you.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Package mailed to Ireland from Akron, OH, processed thru Chicago on Aug. 9th, cannot get any info from Post Office.

The Customs Declaration number is XXXXX

www.usps.com tracked the package up to Chicago.

Thanks so much for teh additional information. However, if the Post Office cannot track the package, neither can anyone else. The online USPS tracking system says it was processed through the Chicago office at 12:15 p.m. on February 6, 2013. It should have been delivered in Ireland by February 11 at the latest. Have you telephoned the recipient to see if the package has arrived?

I would also contact the local post office by telephone or in person to see if they have more efficient means of tracking the package than what is available online. If you requested return receipt, that would make it easier.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Result 1

LC256618174US

First-Class Package International Service

Processed through USPS Sort Facility

February 05, 2013, 12:15 pm

CHICAGO, IL 60666

International Letter

Depart USPS Sort Facility

February 04, 2013

AKRON, OH 44309

Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility

February 04, 2013, 9:13 pm

AKRON, OH 44309

Dispatched to Sort Facility

February 04, 2013, 2:45 pm

AURORA, OH 44202

Acceptance

February 04, 2013, 10:40 am

AURORA, OH 44202

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX was already aware of this and learned nothing new. I can't even find out where in Ireland packages were delivered from Chicago. I thought you may have had more insite or connections. It is impossible to speak with a live person at the post office.

I'm sorry to hear your post office doesn't employ live people. My own has any number of clerks you may speak with. They also offer help over the telephone. Since it is an agency of the government with strict rules, no one can track a postal package except the post office. They should be able to help you with this, and they are the only ones who can.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The United States Post Office does employ live people! Getting one of these live people on the phone is a major chore. I am going to handle this myself and get an appointment with the local Post Master General. I gave you a poor rating because I was not provided any new information. Thank you.

The "poor" rating is for my service, not for whether it provided any new information that you didn't already have. There is no information that can be provided about post office functions other than through the post office itself. That is the law. Blaming me for the way federal regulations work isn't helpful and hurts my professional reputation profoundly. It can even result in loss of my job. I am sorry federal regulations do not allow outsiders to meddle in post office business, but that is hardly "poor service" on my part. All I can do is relay the message. Shooting the messenger only hurts me, and doesn't help solve your problem. That is something only the post office department can do, as explained in the 100% correct answer.

Good luck wiht finding your package.

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you!

I now know that I am supposed to give someone a great rating for not helping me which includes service and knowledge! If I would have known this early in my career I probably would have made a lot more money!!!! And now I am also blaming you for the problems of federal regulations.....wow!!!!!!

I am out a lot of money because of this lost package & the last thing I needed was your last response!!!

Please do not reply!!

No one can help you but the post office. That is the bottom and line and the only answer. That isn't poor service, it is the truth. I'I'm sorry you are out a lot of money because the post office didn't deliver your package, but that has nothing to do with the answer. Shooting the messenger isn't helpful for your situation, and is harmful to me. You should take up your upset with the post office department and let them know how uphappy you are. It has nothing to do with my service.

Expert:  CRogers replied 1 year ago.

I'm so sorry to hear of your lost letter. I'm a little confused about the dates. You stated it was processed through Chicago on Aug. 9. However, the USPS tracking information provides a date of Feb. 5. If it was that recent, the odds of finding it are much higher. If nearly seven months have passed, though, it may be impossible to find. Nevertheless, should you care to continue to try, I can offer you a few avenues you may not have thought of, if you're interested.

For example, it is possible to find address and local phone numbers for the post offices in Akron and Aurora.There are several mail sort facilities near zip code 60666 in Chicago that also have local phone numbers. Of course, there's no guarantee an actual person will answer those local numbers either, but at least they're not the main 1-800 number so the odds are a bit higher.

Then there is the Mail Recovery Center (formerly known as the dead letter office) with two locations: Atlanta, GA and St. Paul MN. There is a procedure you can follow to initiate a search for lost items, and I can include instructions on how to proceed. Letters are retained for only three months, parcels for six months, so it may already be too late if the Aug. 9 date is correct. If not, there's a chance. It's another possibility that might be worth pursuing.

Finally, it's also possible your item was held up in Irish customs. Apparently the Irish Customs has been unusually active for the past year or so in retaining international mail, causing it to be held up for weeks or months. There is a form on the Irish post site allowing you to submit a request for a search of their archives by inputting the tracking number. They do provide tracking of incoming international mail, and state they will email you either information on the location or disposition of the mail, or that they were unable to find it.

Please let me know whether you'd like to see any of this information. I won't post it as an answer unless you give the go-ahead as it's not definitive information on the location of your lost mail.

In any case, best wishes and sympathies on a frustrating situation.

Regards,

CRogers