SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

Two 16 year olds want a fitness program they can do at home

Two 16 year olds want a fitness program they can do at home to build strength and fitness. Both are male and have used insanity program but weight loss is no longer the need. Toning and endurance is needed. Many programs out there. what is best for long term
Category: General
Expert:  Travis B. replied 1 year ago.

Insanity, and P90x are both good programs to build endurance, muscle and properly tone ones body.

You can buy P90x here:

http://www.amazon.com/P90X-Hortons-Extreme-Fitness-Workout/dp/B000TG8D6I

Glad I could be of assistance and God bless; Happy Holidays!

Please provide a positive rating!

Travis B.
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 1 year ago.
My name isXXXXX in exercise physiology and a strength and condition specialist.

Would you kindly take a moment and tell me about their training history, their goals, as well as what kind of "event" they may be training for?

Hit continue conversation/reply to let me know so I can help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

just for some muscle build, no events they want to look toned but do you have any advice for the adonis golden ratio workout? Stopped Insanity because I was losing too much weight. My bro went from 205 to 170 with Insanity. Dad wanted better advice than watching dozens of internet clips saying their method was the best.

And are you limited specifically to home workouts?

Thats great that you guys are leaning out - I am sure you must feel better physically, and be able to perform everything much much better.

I will put this in hopefully easy to understand terms. When I was a teenager, I fell in love with the sport of bodybuilding that eventually led me to other strength sports.

What I didn't realize at the time was that my 16 year old body had a hard time putting on muscle quickly, simply because I was 16 - it had other priorities such as regular growth and getting into and finishing puberty. So what I will tell you immediately is that you need patience and a quality diet that lends itself to putting on quality muscle, but also provides enough energy(calories) so you can recover and continue to train(which is the stimulus). Without recovery, no matter how hard or long you work out, you won't build muscle.

So building muscle and looking toned is a product of being lean enough to show some definition but also developing muscle through training so it shows.

Ideally bodyweight training would limit the boys in a sense that once they got strong enough, they would essentially be training for muscular endurance not so much strength and increasing muscle size.

The reality of the situation is that the body will change no matter what you throw at it, assuming everyone is resting, eating properly and given a chance to recover. Obviously training programs that stress the cardiovascular system is going to tend to lean more toward muscular endurance, the heavier the exercises get, the more it leans toward size, and then strength.

At this point it would be a really good idea to basically have well balanced training that touches on each of these 3 goals(endurance, some size, strength) because they literally would all benefit each other.

I am not familiar with the Adonis program, but I would be willing to bet the farm as they say that it is something somewhat fundamental and contains the basics of weight training and cardio combinations coupled with a quality diet. No matter what way you cut it - these are what will change the body.

The "rule" of Adonis of 1 rep - is based upon using a weight for each exercise that limits you to a certain number of reps. It is an older style of training called HIT. The idea is to go to complete failure for 1 set of 2-4 exercises, and then you are done. This, for some people is actually somewhat dangerous because it is kinda-sorta an advanced technique. Because of this people, beginners and intermediate(less than a few years training) need to be careful because as fatigue sets in, you risk breaking form on the exercise and getting injured.

Is there a possibility the boys could have access to a weight room? They could keep the insanity as a "cardio" but then actually be able to learn the correct ways to execute weight training exercises as a way to better build a muscular physique. This is my recommendation.
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist
Please let me know your thoughts by replying again if you need more information - or please do take the time to rate this information, its needed for my time with you so that I can be paid.
If you aren't going to need any additional information please reply by and let me if the information was at least helpful. A simple yes, helpful is adequate.

I need to know myself if I am doing a good job with you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kids pushed for the Adonis program. I was not impressed with video. More hype that facts. At the end I was going to buy it for the special $47 with 60 day guarnatee.Just as I was to type ACCEPTm there was this little button to check that said I accept the payment terms and schedule.? It was like the "read and understand the license conditions for paying online for telephone service. BUT I looked at it and up the page to fine a small print that said you would be joining the ADonis community for 79.00 a month for 8 months..So the special $47 program now becomes a $700 program. Needless to say I did not complete the transaction but they are sending me emails ready to save my shopping cart and continue. Program may be good but marketing is deceptive.

Thats crazy. Thank goodness for being thorough and reading all the print.

One thing that is important to note is that most people when they adopt fitness into their life, keep it for most of it. For those who really enjoy it or at least enjoy the benefits, its an easy thing to hang on to.

The other part to this is that its a giant learning experience of techniques, diet, exercises, training frequency etc.. the catch is that they are all individual. Each person, regardless of what template they use will all learn over the the differences they each require to make progress, to learn what exercises they will learn are the better.

My introduction to fitness was as a teenager as well, and I have made tons of adjustments, added and subtracted exercises and just recently found a new training frequency that lets my body respond really well - which was completely different than 8 years ago.

My advice to you is considering introducing them to a weight training facility, perhaps at school or a local gym and then seeing you can find someone to instruct on proper execution. Training when young is more about quality nutrition and enough stimulation(not annihilation) of the body to produce results and keep it fun and interesting.

If there is something I can do for you - please let me know. You can direct questions directly to me with this link http://www.justanswer.com/general/expert-cscsmike/ - I believe I am the only fitness and strength specialist on JustAnswer.
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS