Michael
Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...

Hey :) I have a question about which track to choose

Hey :) I have a question about which track to choose at University.

Category: General
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Librarian Michael :

Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Librarian Michael :

I have been helping those on this site with job and career issues so would be happy to see how I can assist you in your question about study in university.

Customer:

Great thanks :)

Customer:

I had a lot of things written down in the question box on the previous page but I've lost it now. Can I retrieve it or should I write it up again ?

Librarian Michael :

Go ahead and just briefly let me know what you are wondering about and we can go from there.

Customer:

All right :) I'm studying European Studies and I need to choose between two tracks; Business track and Political and cultural track.

Customer:

when I started the course I was determined to choose political and cultural track but recently I've been having some second thoughs.

Customer:

I have problems making decisions. At my old school I was supposed to choose one of 3 tracks. I took two of them simultaneously and many courses from the third one. I graduated with much more credits than I needed. I had much more workload than all of my peers but I still did really well and got several prizes at the graduation.

Customer:

I'm really smart. I can do more than the average student, and I get bored and even a little depressed when I'm not challenged. I plan on finishing my bachelor degree in at least 2.5 years, not 3. This time around I can't take both tracks since my scholarship wouldn't cover the extra courses and I can't pay for them

Librarian Michael :

First of all, congrats on the hard work you have put in and from everything I read you are quite the student!

Customer:

Thanks :)

Librarian Michael :

I can relate to your question as when I was a student in college, I was a business major but lost interest and changed my study to what I loved and now have a degree in which is Political Science.

Customer:

In the future I would like a job related to international communication. I would like to work for a large international organization like the UN or NATO, I'd like to work in a ministry of foreign affairs, I'd like to be an ambassador, president or a diplomat.

Customer:

Hey, that's really similar to what I'm thinking about

Librarian Michael :

This is so interesting as my first employer asked me what I wanted to do later in life and my idea was to work for the UN! She still remembers this answer to this day.

Customer:

wow ! :D I'm really lucky to have you helping me!

Librarian Michael :

Sadly I have not had any work with them :-(

Customer:

Not yet ;) But you are helping people all over the world via this programme

Librarian Michael :

You are so correct!

Librarian Michael :

With your question, I would first look at what makes you happy first as that is what was told to me by my college counsel when I told him I wanted to change majors. Second would be to find a course of study that makes you work hard and can keep your interest.

Customer:

The benefits I see from the business track is that it is more difficult, it's more of a challenge. I've also heard from, well, everybody, that you get more job possibilites today graduating from the business track. I do find economics interesting and I realize that if I want to make a difference then it is important for me to understand the flow of money in the world.
The political and cultural track is good because I'd be doing what i want... it would be a little bit like giving myself a break. I want the politics. I'm not so interested in the cultural part though. Nevertheless, I find that the courses I've had so far haven't taught me as much as I would have liked.
I'm beginning to think that the skills I want to aquire, the skills in international communication are not skill that I will learn at school, but something I will get from experience

Customer:

Basically, what makes me happy is the politics but what keeps me interested is the economics

Customer:

Gosh, I can't even choose a type of tea at a coffeehouse... you can't imagine my problems with such an important decision.

Customer:

Oh also,,,, this is silly, but it does affect me. I know my mother wants me to choose the business track, and I tend to do what she wants and then regret it

Customer:

I really don't want to want the same thing as she does... but I also don't want that to effect my decision :p

Customer:

*affect

Librarian Michael :

Is it possible to combine some of these studies into one track? In terms of business, there are more possible job opportunities with that degree. As for the communications track, it would not hurt to have some study in that field but with anything in the job market, experience is what will gain you longer employment in the long run.

Librarian Michael :

Your college experience sounds so much like what I went through. :-0

Librarian Michael :

Have you looked at what types of jobs are out there and what you would be paid? That combination of what you love to do can help in showing your mother what earnings you will make and that could make both of you happy :-)

Customer:

:)
http://static.sdu.dk/mediafiles//3/9/5/%7B395E792A-1B25-4FA8-892D-213D64EF67F1%7DEUSDiagram2010og2011.pdf

Customer:

I haven't really looked into jobs yet. I plan on doing a masters degree after this one and then maybe even some more studies so I haven't checked yet.

Customer:

Oh, that's a link to the study program and the tracks. As you can see I will have most of the same courses either way... but I would have some political courses and cultural analysis etc. or I would have international economics and micro and macroeconomics

Librarian Michael :

From what you sent me, the business track would keep your interest as the culture track is more elective based and could be a problem if there is something you find that would not push you.

Librarian Michael :

I did bad in econ so the culture track would have been for me!

Customer:

But I want the types of jobs I described earlier and they are all you know, the types of job where you start out with a mehh, all right salary but have the possibility to working your way up to having a boat

Customer:

yeah :)

Customer:

the electives are also misnomars... you don't really get to choose from many possibilities

Librarian Michael :

Would the electives push you?

Customer:

You have two electives but only 3 possibilites and you can't choose from the other track

Customer:

And yes, the electives on the business track would, I think. We have business law and a leadership management thing that I think might be interesting. I think the political electives might be easier and maybe more fun though

Customer:

I just. I feel like I deserve to do what I want. To pick something that makes me really happy. But I also want to do what's best for the future.

Librarian Michael :

My thought here is that if you do choose to go on for a masters is that you can then tailor it to your interest as the bachelors would just help you in getting to graduate school. From everything you have told me, I would go with what might be fun for now and then work on your masters on finding out what can give you the better degree for future employment.

Librarian Michael :

I know of many people who have a degree in a particular field and over the many years got out of what they were doing as they were not happy. Having the degree(s) gives you an advantage over those that do not.

Librarian Michael :

I am a librarian who works in a field that you will not be rich but we are doing something we love.

Customer:

yes. well, I don't want to do economics for a living. But I think it might give me better job opportunities in the future, with different kinds of jobs

Librarian Michael :

Also cannot predict what the job market will be like in the near future.

Customer:

I definitely think it's most important that I get into field where I'm happy, rather than one where I'm rich

Librarian Michael :

The money will be there no doubt because of your strong work ethic. Not worried about that at all from what you have told me. You can take the economics degree and use it for other purposes for work within the UN or work internationally. Business is a wide field and can be put to use in various ways.

Customer:

yes, that's what I've been thinking

Librarian Michael :

Could you get your bachelors in econ and then go for a masters in politics?

Librarian Michael :

Or vise versa?

Customer:

ooh, I definitely wouldn't do a master in economics

Librarian Michael :

I understand! :-)

Customer:

but I could do the bsc in eco and then a master in politics

Customer:

Actually, I have a few master programmes that I'm thinking about and they are all quite different from this anyway :p

Librarian Michael :

I like that idea alot. That gives you both fields of study for your background for when you enter the job market.

Customer:

Yeah, that would be really great

Librarian Michael :

It shows your flexible in your study and grasp in both business and politics. These two things are used in communications for both companies as well as organizations such as the UN.

Librarian Michael :

You can always fall back on either in case one industry job is not working out in a few years.

Customer:

You make a very good case. I feel like you're saying the things that are in my head but that I couldn't get into words

Customer:

Btw, how does this website recruit experts?

Librarian Michael :

Found this job a few months ago by sending my background to them for review. They are looking for experts in many fields of study. Lawyers, doctors etc. Myself being a librarian gives them somebody who has helped in many different types of questions. I have had quite a share of interesting things to answer and I really like helping people so this has been a good fit. Your studies when finished would be perfect for this site!

Customer:

My experience of the site is really good. It's great to talk things over with someone with a bit more experience and a fresh point of view!

Librarian Michael :

That is what we are here for and a great place to ask questions and try to help everyone. I wish you the best of luck in your studies and no doubt you are on the right track in your career. Take care!

Customer:

You too. Thanks a million for your help. I'll give you a great rating :)

Librarian Michael :

:-)

Michael, Librarian
Experience: 20+ years as information professional
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.