Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...

Craft sewing How do I cover a book with leather fabric so

Craft sewing
How do I cover a book with leather fabric so it is finished looking and able to open the spine and use it? Can you send a pattern template or refer me to a site? Thank you
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Having a leather cover for a book is something quite nice to have in your collection and looks great on a bookcase. My prior experience with this project would be to send it out to companies that deal with leather binding but that can be quite expensive.

As for doing it yourself, I have researched this morning some tutorial sites that offer step-by-step instructions along with pictures that show each step in detail. Understand that it is time consuming so plan to spend some quiet time and concentration as it can take part of your day in order to create something this special. Each site listed below offers tools that you will need as well in order to work on this project.

1. This site shows how to create a cover for a notebook but should work fine for a book and it will allows the spine to be open:

2. This is a good step-by-step as well: