Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

Is Timbuktu a place where people actually live in and live

Is Timbuktu a place where people actually live in and live at as their place of residence, or is Timbuktu a place for only tourism and other things of that nature only? Thank you for your assistance.

Hello again, Jaime and welcome back to Just Answer.

Timbuktu is indeed a place where people actually live and as of the 2009 census, it had a population of 54,453. It is a town in the West African nation of Mali and the town is the capital of the Timbuktu Region, one of the eight administrative regions of Mali. It became a permanent settlement in the 12th century, after first being a temporary settlement along a prosperous trade route. Today, it is quite an impoverished town and suffers from droughts and floods, religious wars and governmental struggles.

You can read more in depth about the illustrious history and current state of Timbuktu, here: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/596022/Timbuktu

Please take a moment to Rate with Positive Feedback (click happiest, smiley face), as that is the only way in which I am credited by the site for my assistance. Thank you very much; I appreciate it! Laughing

Please let me know if you need more information before rating, by clicking 'Reply' and I will be happy to continue our conversation.

To request me for future questions, simply type "For Cher" to begin your post and I will answer, asap.

Best regards,
Cher