Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Extensive experience in research and problem solving.
Type Your Question Here...

I want to fly from Eugene to Las Vegas from Feb. 15 to 18th

I want to fly from Eugene to Las Vegas from Feb. 15 to 18th or 19th of February. Looks like only tickets are $500 plus. Can I go to the airport and try Stand by tickets? Do people still do that? How much is it if yes? what are my odds of getting on? like 10% or 50%? thanks, jim gibbons
Category: General
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Hello Jim.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I can help you with your question.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

You can still (possibly) get a less expensive fair by going to the airport the day of travel and inquiring at the airline for standby tickets.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

You can also sometimes purchase a "standby" ticket in advance directly through the airline (as strange as it sounds).

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

The best advice I can give you for standby is to only bring one carry on.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Checking bags, for obvious reasons, complicates things.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Based on the route you want to fly, I think your chances are pretty good of getting on a flight - never guaranteed - but those flights don't appear to be fully booked on a regular basis.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

There is a great deal more detail at the following site for tips on successfully fying standby: How to Fly Standby

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Please let me know if you have any questions!

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

There is also one more place I would suggest checking. Allegiant Air aggregates flights and they offer this route for <$300 and the tickets are almost always available for Friday to Monday (those are the only days for which they aggregate tickets for this route.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

When I checked, 2/15 from OR was about the only day that didn't show availability (the reverse trip is available). So they may not be sold out, or you may be able to check back there frequently. They sell tickets online up to the day before the flight. You can also chat with one of their agents.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Here is the site.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Allegiant Air

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Do you have any questions for me that I haven't answered?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

OK. Please remember to rate my level of service below.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Have a great night!

Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience: Extensive experience in research and problem solving.