Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Extensive experience in research and problem solving.
23511658
Type Your Question Here...

Does anyone know if there are regulations with regards XXXXX XXXXX

Does anyone know if there are regulations with regards XXXXX XXXXX distance an entrance needs to be from the edge of the first step? I'm going for a variance to extend my front porch,and I'm looking for every possible angle. Its an old Victorian and it feels unsafe. Just asking if its something I can use?
Category: General
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Hello. I can help you with your question.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I suspect you'll be able to find something that will accommodate your argument in the International Code Council regulations

Customer:

hi

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Hello

Customer:

so just google that

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

No

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Too confusing.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I have a page with a very good list of things to check.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I just have to get back to it. It has a list with diagrams. I will also give you a link to the actual regulations.

Customer:

ok how do i get it

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I will give it to you.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I will give you both links.

Customer:

will i need to write it down.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Staircase Building Regs

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

No, you can just click on the links.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

That one is from the UK government, but based on international regulations.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

And the actual regulations

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Are in the International Code Council Residential code.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Is this a single family?

Customer:

so they apply here

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Yes, that's a simplified version.

Customer:

yes

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I am going to give you the actual building code, though.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

That's the official info that you will use.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

If it's an old victorian, then there are several things in there that will justify the variance.

Customer:

so is that all i will need then. i should look for that

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

You should be able to click on that link

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Make sure... that should bring you right to it.

Customer:

im doing this on my own.....no idea what im doing

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Ok. I will explain.

Customer:

everyone is laughing at me when i tell them i what to expand my porch

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

When you go to the link on the regulations I gave you, there is a section 311.1 Means of egress.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

They can laugh at you while you are looking down on them from your new porch!

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

lol

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

What, they don't think you'll be able to get a variance?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I'm not an attorney, so I can't give you legal advice, but I think you are on the right track.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

R311.3 is the precise information you asked about.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

There shall be a landing or floor on each side of each exterior door. The width of each landing shall not be less than the door served. Every landing shall have a minimum dimension of 36 inches (914 mm) measured in the direction of travel. Exterior landings shall be permitted to have a slope not to exceed 1/4 unit vertical in 12 units horizontal (2-percent).

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

But there are many more regulations there if that one doesn't help you.

Customer:

ok....ill take a look. i need all the help i can get thanks wish me luck

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Yes, good luck. Let your neighbors laugh it up.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

;->

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

If you have any problem getting to the information, just come back to this page and let me know.

Customer:

ill need to study it its a whole different language to me

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I understand that. Take it in logical chunks.

Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience: Extensive experience in research and problem solving.