SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

Hi! Thanks for locking the last question for me :) I have a

Hi! Thanks for locking the last question for me :) I have a new, completely unrelated inquiry but wanted to see if you could help because you were so professional last time. I have a friend who is moving to Charlotte, NC for a 6 month period at the end of this month. Her issue is getting to and from her job (yet to be determined). The public transportation system (from what I hear) isn't terribly convenient and would quadruple her commuting time, so I was wondering if there is such as a thing as "temporarily" leasing a car? I mean, I know you can take out a least for 2-4 years, but is there anything available for people who only require 6 months? Seems like it would be something that consumers would need now and again. She's from DC so is not interested in purchasing a car and going through all of that just to turn around and sell it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Hi, I am a Moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your patience.
Hello and welcome. Yes some car sellers and car renters allow that. She can also consider carsharing, here is a list of company offering the service:

She can also ask the company or companies nearby to see if she can participate in some kind of Carpooling with coworker. That can be as low as $15-20 per week and some often do it for free.

I personally ride my bicycle for most of my work related transportation. It's faster than public transportation for me. For job only lasting 6 months, it is strategic to consider sometime taking a more expensive apartment if it allow to save more than the difference in transport fee.
Martin, Engineer
Experience: i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
It's Mike, thank you very much for the request. It was a pleasure helping you Sara, I appreciate your patience.

You have a few options here - most if not all major car rental brands have a long term rental plan in place, most people would just need to rent over the "short term" amount.

Enterprise - which i have great experience with.

Hertz - which friends have positive experience with

Budget - which was hassle free

Now depending on the actual amount of time she would need the vehicle each day or each week the car sharing programs might work out cheaper, however she would ultimately being paying for the convenience of having the car there all the time. but this link provides some of the participants in the Charlotte area sharing program.

I would probably just have her call and do long term rentals, it would end up pretty cheap, especially compared to a comparable actual lease payment. Generally speaking with most rental car companies the longer you rent, the more you actually save compared to something like a 2 or 3 day rental or a week - so really its in her favor to rent a month or a few months at a time.

Run these by her and take a look yourself and let me know what you two think.

Charlotte is an amazing area, absolutely gorgeous, so rich in history.
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist