Joan
Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
Type Your Question Here...

Navigating college classes

Navigating college classes at FSU or TCC or? ; Please help me choose an online class for my struggling grown child. My child suffered a contussion and hematoma as a result of self destructiv behavor and denial of depression due to circumstances i can not describe here. I need help to find him a class he can take NOW at TCC or FSU and possibly ONLINE. He has an AA from TCC but low grades. He has a 40 hour work week or more at minumum wage....and no car. He works at a minimum wage job 15 minute bike ride from the FSU area. Hoping to find online class that can look good on his resume and possibly get him skills that might get him other side work. He likes media. If he does not take a class, we may have him come back home but i feel his independance is helping him....rather he stays in Tally and keep the job and also continue an education....

Category: General
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

There is a Certificate course that may be perfect for him. It totals 18 credit hours and is online and done as a virtual course. If he gets the certificate he can come out with skills that can help get him into most office jobs as well as give him skills he can use in most jobs dealing with people. In todays day and age customer service and people skills can open some doors.

The Certificate course can also lead to a degree if he chooses to go on. The Course I am suggesting is : Office Specialist (6101) (T.C.)http://floridastatecollegecatalog.fscj.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=25&poid=4463

These are the indiviual classes that he would take:

The skills he would aquire in this certificate may also help with his self esteme where he may even be able to get the side work you mention, since he will be getting computer basics as well as doing word processing and spreadsheet concepts.

If this is not what you would think would work for him, please let me know and I will look at some of the other Virtual courses available. I think that this is a good starting point. My son is in his first year of college and is taking courses for IT tech. He took the Microcomputer Applications and found it very interesting and picked up some computer skills that are very helpful in getting a better paying job. I also want to add the school offers a work study program where your son can get paid while taking classes. The jobs usually pay a little better than minimum wage and he applies his studies to the job.

Please let me know if you think that this is a direction he may want to go in. I will be happy to continue with you if you need further help. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He took micro economics at TCC. Would that be transfered over?
And will he need certain grades to get into this certif course? Do you think that he can take FSU courses for college credit and apply them toward a BFA? Even tho his GPA is not adequate? Does this certif course start any time because its online?
Can online FSU college credit classes be taken at ones own pace?

This is very helpful thanks.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

They would like a 2.0 GPA, but if he was awarded the credits they should be tranferable to the certificate course. The FSU courses, that I suggested would be for a certificate for an Office Specialist which along with his micro economics can help get him a much better job, since he will be getting all the office skills and computer skills to run an office. The classes are virtual classes and can be done at home on the computer. I cannot find the start up dates, because they ask personal info that I cannot offer. This link shows other Virtual courses that he can take if he does not like what I suggested. http://distance.fsu.edu/

My son is doing some Virtual courses at PBSC, and loves it, because he can work at his own speed and work regular hours on his job.

Joan

Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience: I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
"They would like a 2.0 GPA, "

What about for the FSU virtual courses that are for FSU credit? Do they accept 2.0?

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

From what I have read the acceptable GPA is a 2.0. They should accept a 2.0 with no problems. Under the circumstances that you have described, I belive the Virtual school would be the best avenue for you son. The fact he can work at his own pace, will be a plus where he can work regular hours and still take some classes and work at his own pace. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is your son taking classe that will eventually give him a BAchlors degree? And do the credits given in these online courses possibly apply toward a Bachelors someday?
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

He is going for his certificate as an IT tech and once he does that and get a job in the field, he plans to go back for his Bachelors Degree in Computer Science. He feels that with computers everywhere a job in IT would be good money to start and be able to continue on after his certification. For the certificate, he does not need the core subjects like Math and English. After just getting out of high school, he wated to get into something that really interested him, and when he goes back for his degree, he can pick up his core subjects. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So do the online courss give any credits that count toward a bachelors degree?
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Yes the classes do count as credits toward for a Bachelors Degree. My son now has 6 credits and needs 18 for his certificate. When he decides to go on, those are college credits and will go toward his degree, in Informational Technology.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

cool...thanks so much

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I hope all goes well!

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you help me further because i have no time.....I am also repairing a house flooded by sandy....

Can you find some classes for him?

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

These are some certificate courses that may work, but he will have to look them over and decide if this is what he wants:

Communication

• ADV3352 - Mass Media Law (3)
    This course will provide
    comprehensive review of laws, rules, and regulations affecting both the
    advertising and broadcast industries as well as other forms of mass
    media.
    Tuition and Fees: The cost of this course
    is equal to undergraduate tuition and fees appropriate to your location plus a
    $70 per credit hour distance learning fee.
  • ADV3410 - Hispanic Marketing Communication (3)
    This
    course prepares undergraduate students to become educated decision makers and
    consumers of information regarding US Hispanic marketing communication
    issues.
    This course meets the University's multicultural course requirements.
    Tuition and Fees: The cost of this course is equal to
    undergraduate tuition and fees appropriate to your location plus a $70 per
    credit hour distance learning fee.
  • COM3332 - New Communication Technology (3)
    Relates the
    design, development, and the use of new communication technologies to social,
    economic, and policy implications.
    Tuition and
    Fees: The cost of this course is equal to undergraduate tuition and fees
    appropriate to your location plus a $70 per credit hour distance learning fee.
  • COM4132 - Communication and Stress Management (3)
    Course
    provides practical education in controlling stress that emphasizes primarily
    organizational, intrapersonal, and interpersonal communication skills and
    utilizes primarily written channels.
    Instructional activities take place synchronously.
    Tuition and
  • MMC2000 - Introduction to Mass Media (3)
    A historical
    and social overview of the mass media and their relationship to the mass
    communication process in a modern society.
    Tuition and
  • PUR3000 - Introduction to Public Relations (3)
    This
    course if designed to introduce the student to the principles and practices of
    the public relations profession throughout all organizations using public
    relations.
    Tuition and Fees: The cost of this
    course is equal to undergraduate tuition and fees appropriate to your location
    plus a $70 per credit hour distance learning fee.
  • RTV3001 - Media Techniques (3)
    Introduction to basic
    principles and terminology associated with photography, filmmaking, television,
    and radio.
    Tuition and Fees: The cost of this
  • SPC2608 - Hybrid Public Speaking (3)
    This course covers
    both the principles of and the practical experience of public speaking. The
    course is required of all majors.
    This course is a mixed course.
    Tuition and
  • SPC3210 - Contemporary Human Communication (3)
    This
    introductory course surveys current scholarship in five areas of communication
    theory: group, rhetorical, interpersonal, legal, and performance
    communication.
    Tuition and Fees: The cost of
    this course is equal to undergraduate tuition and fees appropriate to your
    location plus a $70 per credit hour distance learning fee.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does each certificate course come with a list of specific classes for each of these coureses?

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

The courses that I listed are what would be needed for a certificate in Communications which ties into his interest in media. If these did not interest him, he can speak with a counselor about a different certificate courses offered that may interest him more. It is very hard to pick classes without personally knowing the person and the counselors would be better at giving him direction. This is another virtual college that offers the classes I suggested at first for your son, which I thought would be good, but again it would be his decision:

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, this is the first list you gave me.... But is there any course where there are more computer media type classes or that offer more media like video production filming for media and the entertainment industry? Thanks..you are very helpful

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

There are classes like that, but I cannot get the full listing. As I said he would have to go into one of the sites that have a counselor that can give him the available courses and when they start, which would be for spring semester. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can he take random online classes that he finds interesting and create his own degree so to speak?

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

He can do that and eventually get a Liberal Arts degree with the focus on media. For cetificates, he has to take certain core courses for each certificate. For a Liberal Arts degree he needs the Reading, History, Math and Humanities for the core subjects, but then can take the other courses he would be interested in as long as he gets enough credits toward graduation. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I lost track of this answer....My deepest apologies...Thank you for your help....I hope the rating faces come up...
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I did get one Excellent Rating and I thank you for that. Hope all is working out well!

Joan