Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Extensive experience in research and problem solving.
23511658
Type Your Question Here...

Hi, I have a lottery question.

Hi, I have a lottery question. Here in the philippines we have a lottery where you pick 3 numbers. The numbers are between 1 -9 in 3 columns. So you can pick 111 327 999 etc. you must get the numbers in exact order to win. What are the odds of winning?

Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Eric and welcome back to Just Answer.

The odds of winning the lottery in the Philippines are 1 in 28,989,675, but this number is XXXXX depending on how many tickets are sold.

Please take a moment to Rate with Positive Feedback (click happiest, smiley face), as that is the only way in which I am credited by the site for my assistance. Thank you very much; I appreciate it! Laughing

Please let me know if you need more information before rating, by clicking 'Reply' and I will be happy to continue our conversation.

To request me for future questions, simply type "For Cher" to begin your post and I will answer, asap.

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Cher, How did you come up with that number ? I'm asking about a different lottery. The one I described in the question. It's a pick 3. They have to be 3 numbers between 1 and 9. So take 3 rows of 1-9 and pick any 1 number in each row. It has to be in the order in which the winning numbers were drawn. So if the winning numbers are 241 you can't win if you chose 214. Do you know the probability of this ?
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Eric and thanks for your reply and additional information.

The name of the lottery you're interested in is called 'Pick 3'? There seem to be many lottery games in the Philippines, so thank you for letting me know the name. I will research this for you further.

Best regards,
Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Eric.

I have been researching this carefully, since last night, and I am unable to find the odds of winning for this particular lottery game, so I will 'opt out' and hopefully another expert will be able to help you.

I wish you much good luck!

Best regards,
Cher
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.

Eric,

I can help you with this information. Based on there being three numbers, each from 1-9 "with replacement" (meaning they are each drawn separately, so a particular number being drawn on the first digit has no affect on the second) is 729:1. I noticed that you didn't include - as one of the possible numbers. These odds are based on only 1-9. If you include 0, the odds would be 1000:1.

The calculation for the odds:
9*9*9=729

There are 729 possible combinations of those three digits. Since exact order is required, each combination represents a distinct outcome.

If the Pick 3 you are referring to is the Suertres Lotto, the number can include digits from 0-9, so for example 000 is a valid number. In that case, the odds are 1000:1

10*10*10=1000

The payout of Suertres Lotto is 450:1 - for every Php10.00 played, the winners receive Php4,500

Here is the official Page:Suertres Lotto

Please remember to rate my level of service below. The rating is specific to an individual answer, so please be sure to rate the correct answer as being helpful.

If you have any questions, just let me know!

Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience: Extensive experience in research and problem solving.