Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
14666028
Type Your Question Here...

how and where to get a prior IT career back on track

I am looking for advise on how and where to get a prior IT career back on track...until 2001, I was employed 12 years in the IT field..I was a client server application developer...bulding fron tend with VB6 and server side sql code using either MS SQL Server or others...Now I am looking to get back in, and of course I know my skill set is stale and needs to be brought up to speed... But..I do not know in what discipline are the jobs..I want to target the correct area.. On one hand, I could go the Microsoft.net route..but I don't know the demand, and also what Other skills are needed along with it.. (ie Java, etc) OR..I could go the A+ certification route..I know it is more out of sync than my previous exprience, but my hunch is that there is always a decent demand for pros in that area.. So..I am looking for any cooments/advice..etc...btw, I am in the RI area...with in the Boston market.. Thanks!

Category: General
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can wait..but more importantly (and i have emailed in about this and got no response) this system seems to have me as an expert and user! AND i can not See the questions i have asked and cannot click them! Please help! I am a monthly subscriber..i need this resolved...an email..a number to call...k will have to cancel otherwise!

PLEASE VERIFY THAT U RECEIVED THIS!!!TY
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

To better serve you, I will forward your questions regarding your account to Customer Service where a Representative will contact you via email.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you!..I hope I get contacted!..As I said, I have aleady e-mailed in the question...
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hello. What kind of jobs did you do in IT before (it is a vast field)? Do you want to stay in the same familiar mold or it does not matter? Do you have any official degrees? Do you mind relocation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi..I was a VB6/SQL programmer...I was a client/server applications developer...I DO enjoy that work, but I don't want to update my skill set in that field if the availability of jobs in not there or in limited supply...

So I am trying to target my re-traing to that of the ares of job demand...

I was wondering about A+ certification stuff..meaning whats the demand..

Basically, I am looking for an opinion of what disciple of the field now has the greatest job demand, and secondly, knowing my backround, which direction seems to make the most sense..I know this isn't a cut and dry answer...

TY

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
I personally not have much faith in .NET future. Like Cobol, there will always have work for those system but the opportunity will not be as numerous. Same thing is happening with Java, it get less popular and academic push it less than before. I think that good old C++ and some rapid prototyping language like Python, Lua, Haskell etc... give enough versatility.

Currently the whole PC world is shifting (it never was that stable but it now accelerate). The biggest development are in phone and tablet area, so your client/server experience is maintained. That does not mean that the IT field will be all rosy again as a big trend is the cloud market that will create a quasi mono-culture of many services that were usually made by thousand little developers.

The point of sale market is still good. Industrial field like mining and oil are often neglected but are big IT employers, they require lot of custom product and solution (often to integrate bought competitors or simply to communicate with older generation systems that cost too much to replace). The video game industry is still a good place but it is squeezed lately and is also shifting. Being good at SQL should open you many positions in almost anything (you can try government agencies as it's easier to get paid formation there). Banking is always good, this field is not going anywhere anytime soon.

I am not a particular fan of certification program. I prefer applicant that have real stuff to show than diploma or certificate. A good way to have credential is to join an open source project, as a coder or as a maintainer of some sort.

You can always consider the Army as a good way to kick back your technology skill in IT specialization.
Martin, Engineer
Experience: i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting