JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Consultant
Experience:  Skilled at assisting with general information needs.
Type Your Question Here...

Recently I bought a home with a wood deck, what should I be

Recently I bought a home with a wood deck, what should I be using on my deck, in lieu of rock salt, to keep it strong & not slippery. I live in Michigan so snow/ice/rain are always factors!
Welcome and thank you for your question!

You have two options: kitty litter (or sand). It provides grip but no melting function. Or, you can go with environmental-friendly Magic Salt

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
will magic salt keep the deck from being slippery but not damage the wood?

Keep in mind that anything can damage wood, including plain water, if the wood has not been previously treated with a preservative. What is the current condition of the deck? ~~ J.B.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm sure it was stained at one point, its on my agenda for spring to restain. overall condition is good, is that what your asking
Right. As for now, with it being untreated, at this moment, there is nothing that you can do that will not negatively affect the wood condition. Again, mother nature on her own will negatively impact it.

Does that clarify things?

~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so there is not 1 thing I should use over another?
Magic Salt is better than rock salt.

If you're not using the deck at all, don't use anything.

The absolute best products, if something is going to be used, are acetate-based liquid runway deicer. Yes, it's what's used at the airports for the runways. But it's not really sold to the general public and it's cost prohibitive. That's why I didn't suggest it in the initial post.

Now, if you don't mind tracking stuff in, you always have the option of kitty litter / sand which will provide you with a surface to grip but it will do nothing to melt. But, again, you'll be tracking that stuff into your house.

~~ J.B.