Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...

How can one get into the swing of things? How can one get into

How can one get into the swing of things? How can one get into the groove of working again if he/she finds a job after 7 years? Are there any tips, tidbits, and/or pointers that you recommend? Thank you.
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Getting back to the job market after a long absence can bring excitement, joy and relief but anxiety, sadness and fear as well. This combination of feelings is not uncommon, say career experts and mental health professionals.

Working again requires care and planning and a few ways to ease back into the workforce. Don’t try to do everything at once. Like most new jobs, there is a breaking-in period for both you and the company which can be usually 90 days.

Start strong but take it one step at a time. Start with a steady pace as going too fast may make you miss things needed to learn the new job.

Work is a combination of learned habits so being out of work for a number of years has one to try to relearn all over again. These learned habits will occur over time and before you know it, you won't think about it anymore. You will just do it.

There are many interesting viewpoints on those that have taken time off work and what to do to get back into the "grove" again. I have gone ahead and researched some of those. Some may deal with just taking a few weeks off for vacation but I think their viewpoints are something to consider even if you have been off work a number of years.

How to Get Back in the Groove After a Break from Work:

How to Get Back into the Work Groove After Time Off:

Article from Globe and Mail: