Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...

How do you cook/make General TSO chicken? Thank you for your

How do you cook/make General TSO chicken? Thank you for your assistance.
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Hello and hope you are doing well this Friday before the weekend.

I am sure you know that at almost any buffet or take-out place you can find General Tso’s Chicken. This is a perfect combination of sweet and spicy flavors. I am more of a sweet & sour chicken person as I find General Tso a bit spicy for my taste. But quite good when I have tried it in the past.

Also here for your review is the nutrition value of the dish. Just in case you were interested as well as reviewing the recipes below to possibly change the calorie content if you so desire:

776 calories, 31 g fat, 6.6 g saturated fat, 58 g protein, 63 g carbohydrates, 1,726 mg sodium and 337 mg cholesterol.

As for the basics in terms of what goes into the dish, the main ingredients are deep-fried boneless dark-meat chicken, thick and tangy sweet-and-sour sauce,and whole dried red peppers and vegetables. Most often is it served over or alongside steamed white rice or fried rice. The dried red peppers are added more for color than flavor.

A big fan of the Food Network so what I have done is gone ahead and tried to find some recipes for you to review and see if you like how each chef puts their twist on the recipe.

1. Chef Tyler Florence:

2. Emeril (bam!):

3. Sunny Anderson:

I would also recommend checking out your local public library as for example, the one I currently work at has hundreds of cookbooks for checkout. I am sure your local library has some to review as well.
Before going, use the very cool database called worldcat to see what your local library has before making a visit: