Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
14666028
Type Your Question Here...

Is it true that Hemp farmers are featured on the back of the

Is it true that Hemp farmers are featured on the back of the 1914 $10.00 U.S.A. bill
Hello and welcome.

I saw this proposal posted many time. I don't think this is hemp and the confusion probably come of the theme(s) of the back of the bill is "farming and industry". Because hemp was still heavily used for lot of textile and rope, many may have concluded it was hemp.

Two things make me think this is not hemp. The bundle are not long enough (especially that they are at the forefront in the picture). Being so high (no pun intended) reduce greatly the light under it so they can't be planted as tight as other crop. The way the texture of the field is after the cut make it look more like wheat or oat because the row are close together. A real industrial hemp field looked more like this: http://hempforyou.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Hemp2.gif

The second thing is the number of horse. This is a typical setup for cereal harvesting. I do not think 4 horses would last long harvesting hemp because the thing is VERY hard to cut (being terribly fibrous) and would require more horses or more muscular horses than those pictured.