A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
Type Your Question Here...

Hellona my name is XXXXX XXXXX my grandfather was born

Hellona my name is XXXXX XXXXX my grandfather was born in cheltenham in 1847 and was married in cheltenham in 1873 his name was gsaraheorge wiltshire and he was married to Ellen gaskins born 1855 gloucestershire.i am trying to find georges grandfather who was born in wiltshire about 1796 married to a sarah.

Hello, Leslie,

Thanks for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to try to help you, but I need some more information first.

We can sort out only one person at a time. Do you know who George's parents were along with their dates and places? Without that information we can't skip another generation back to George's grandfather.

Looking forward to working with you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Georg es parents james wiltshire born dock plymouth at sea abt 1823 his mother was eliza hobbs who was a widow born abt 1821 gloucester.

Thanks. I will see what records I can find. It takes a while to search, so you will get an email similar to this one when I have something to report one way or the other. Keep your fingers crossed!

Hi, Leslie,

There was only one James Wiltshire in the birth records born 1823±5 years, and that is this one:

Name: WILTSHIRE, James

Mother's name: Not available before 1966

Place : Woolwich

Country: England

Year: 1822

Volume : R.A.20

Page: 40

Record source: GRO Regimental Birth Indices Supplement (1761 to 1924)

You would need to order the birth record to see the names of the parents, since they aren't listed elsewhere. Here is the GRO web site, and you can order online.

I checked for a baptism record, but didn't find one.

Here is the index listing for the marriage of James Wiltshire to Eliza Hobbs, just in case you want to order it at the same time.

Name: WILTSHIRE, James

Registration district: Gloucester

County: Gloucestershire

Year of registration: 1845

Quarter of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec

Spouse's Not available before 1912 (Eliza Hobbs)

Volume no: 11

Page no: 533

In the 1851 census there was an Elizabeth Wiltshire with children George (4), Clara (2), and Charles (1) in the Gloucester Union Workhouse. She is listed as a servant and all of them are listed as having been born in Gloucester, Gloucestershire. While she is listed as being married, there is no mention of where James was.

I'm sorry there is no record for the birth of James Wiltshire online.

All the ebst,