Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

I am a 60 year old man that has lived with Mexican people all

I am a 60 year old man that has lived with Mexican people all of my life. I admire the people and am accepted into their lives. The problem is I never learned how to speak Spanish so I can't communicate with my close friends in theyre native tougne.
QUESTION: What is the quickest most produtive way to learn the spanish language?

Librarian777 :

Hola! There are some good resources to learn on your own, if that's what you had in mind. Some public libraries subscribe to "Mango" if they have database subscriptions. Mango is a language database that's fairly easy to use, and free if you have a library card. Pimsleurs has self-taught foreign language courses, as does Berlitz. I'm not sure about Pimsleurs, but some Berlitz materials can be found in bookstores and The absolute fastest way to learn would be to spend several months in a Spanish-speaking country, but that's not possible for most people.

Librarian777 :

If time is an issue, you might try "Spanish in 10 Minutes a Day." You might have a look around local bookstores to see what's available. People have different learning styles, but with foreign languages, it's good to be able to combine audio and visual styles of learning. Hope this helps.

Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer.

The best way to learn and become fluent in Spanish is to immerse yourself in the language and be around it all the time. It seems that you are around it all the time, now, living in a Mexican community with your friends. Hearing Spanish on a daily basis (and seeing it written), will help with your comprehension, especially conversational skills. In addition to listening to your friends speak, you can improve your comprehension by watching Spanish tv stations and listening to Spanish radio. On tv, put on the closed captioning so you can read it as you hear it; this will be very helpful.

If you have the time, you can also attend conversational Spanish classes at your Community School or Adult Education courses at your local High School or College, which are usually given in the evenings.

Some inexpensive and/or free online programs that will help you learn Spanish and practice your conversation are: (this is great for conversational Spanish practice)

I have personal experience with "The Pimsleur Approach" and this might suit your needs. However, it is not inexpensive, but they have a 30 day free trial, so if you try it and don't think it's for you, you can always return it and not lose anything. Please read more, here:

Rosetta Stone is also a good program, but is also quite costly.

Also, please keep in mind that your friends will be using colloquial idioms and expressions that are particular to Mexican Spanish, so you will be able to learn these from them, as you learn 'traditional' Spanish that is mainly spoken in Spain and Latin America through these other programs and/or classes, but don't worry, you will still be able to understand and be understood by your Mexican friends.

Try to converse with your friends as much as possible in Spanish and this will help you become fluent, along with your close friend's offer to help you.

I wish you much good luck!

If you found my answer helpful, please Rate with Positive Feedback (happiest, smiley face), as this is the only way I am credited by the site for my assistance. Thank you very much! Laughing

Please let me know if you need more information before rating by clicking 'Reply' , direct your question to me, 'Cher', and I will be happy to continue our conversation.

To request me for future questions, simply type "For Cher" to begin your post and I will answer, asap.

Best regards,
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist