Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Type Your Question Here...

i bought candy and just noticed the expiration date 28/9/2012.

i bought candy and just noticed the expiration date 28/9/2012. do i discard it? can it still be consumed asap?

The candy should be fine. the dates on most candy are not expiration dates, but rather 'sell by' dates. The candy would have a shelf life of one year past that date. After that, the candy still is not going to be harmful in any way, but may not taste as good. If it contains nuts, they may go rancid after that time period. Hard candies can become gummy. Chocolate can develop what is called a 'bloom.' That looks like a white powdery coating, but is not harmful in any way. You can read more about candy expiration dates and spoilage here:

I would open the candy and look it over. If it looks and smells fine, go ahead and try it. If it tastes good, it is good. If it looks or smells 'off,' it would be best to return it to the store where you bought it or discard it. However, with a date of Sept., 2012, it should be fine. If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY.