SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

Will I be dropped from my online class if I dont do any of

Will I be dropped from my online class if I don't do any of the work in it, or will I get an F?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Brice.

You have posted in our Spanish Category.

Is this a Spanish course, you're referring to?

In any case, this question can only be answered by your school, according to their policies.

Sincerely,
Cher

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it's a Spanish course. If you were to guess though, would you say that I would be automatically dropped from the course if I don't do the work for it for a couple of weeks? I don't think that should happen, but I'm really busy with work.

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, Brice and thanks for your reply.

If I were to guess, I'd say that not doing the work for a couple of weeks should not get you dropped from the course, but you should probably be given an opportunity to catch up on your work.

Sending a note to your instructor explaining why you couldn't finish the work for a couple of weeks, should help, too.

I wish you much good luck with your course.
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How sure are you? Have you ever taught a Spanish?

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, Brice.

You asked me to venture a 'guess' and that's what I did. A 'guess' is never 'for sure', especially not knowing all the details.

I don't know the policies of your school (you didn't provide the name of the school), as I mentioned in my first reply, and they would be the best one to ask; either ask an Administrator or your Instructor, as I suggested, earlier.

I have over 40 years experience teaching Spanish, both in the classroom and as a private tutor.

Please let me know how I can help you further.

Thanks,
Cher

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Relist: Answer quality. I asked her a question that I know she wouldn't be positive as to what the answer was, but she could have given me her best guess. When I asked how sure she was, she rejected my request and said "a guess is never for sure, especially not knowing all the details." I gave her every detail I had. In her final response, she mentioned that she already told me to ask my administrator or instructor, which she didn't specifically tell me to do so in her first response like she claims. Yes, I already knew the instructor is available, but I felt more comfortable asking on this site.

Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist.

Are you comfortable providing the name of the school and the class number so I can research and look it up for you myself?

I think that would be the easiest way to find out, provided the information is available online to non students.

In all my years as a tutor and as a student I have never once seen someone dropped from a class from doing zero work and they are always graded on the work performed. From a university standpoint dropping a class is always a student's responsibility, teachers and TAs do not drop students from classes.

If no work is done, students will receive a grade of F unfortunately, unless for some reason they take an incomplete which may be your other option but you need to talk to bursar and your instructor. This is because managing a schedule and class load is that responsibility of the student's as outlined by university. Students are responsible for their classes themselves, teachers are only their to instruct and grade, same with online classes - the only exception would have been outlined in the syllabus(which you can link me to if you like).

If you haven't done much in the class you may be able to take an incomplete and finish the work at another time if the university sees fit. If you are within the first week of the class, you should be able to drop it with minimal financial penalty if any.

I hope this helps understand the situation better Sean. Have a great day.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok Mike, it's the University of Central Florida. The class is intermediate Spanish language and civilization II (SPN 2201).

Thank you very much - Bauer it looks like is the "instructor" correct?

It is actually showing the syllabus as not available online.

How far into the course are you?
Here you go I actually found the deadline to support the first answer.
Obviously I don't have a MyUCF account but if you look here http://registrar.sdes.ucf.edu/calendar/academic/2013/spring/

The date shows as the 10th for drop add.

In other words if you didn't drop the class you either need to talk to the instructor about taking an incomplete(which they will do for various situations) or if a student did absolutely none the of the work they would be graded as the instructor saw fit. Again, because you have paid for the course, the university would not just drop you because its your money and your course to complete. They again look at it as a student's responsibility once the add/drop date has passed.

I hope this helps. Please remember to provide a rating based on the information and service I have provided - let me know if you need anything else as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, you're nearly positive that they wouldn't drop me for not doing the work in this particular class as long as I paid for it?

They wouldn't just drop you after you paid that could potentially bring up a whole host of potential issues because you paid for a service. There is no reason for them to drop you - they are now paid, and from their eyes the responsibility of the course is now in your hands.
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist