How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Your Own Question
Michael, Librarian
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 3004
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...
Michael is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I am a U.S. Resident...where/how can I get medical insurance

This answer was rated:

Hello, I am a U.S. Resident...where/how can I get medical insurance coverage for international travel as well for when I am in the U.S?...I plan to travel abroad for about a year, but plan to visit my family in the U.S. for birthdays and holidays (two weeks at a time) I will likely be in the U.S. for a month out of the year...I want to make sure I have health insurance coverage all can I get coverage at minimal cost?...thanks for your help!
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

I have assisted in this type of question before on this site so let me offer you some good reading suggestions I gave another customer on this very topic.

First thing is to ask your current provider about whether your policy covers you while traveling abroad. Also access your needs before seeking supplemental traveler’s medical coverage.

The U.S. Department of State maintains a list of reputable companies that offer traveler’s medical insurance on its website:

Those who travel have informed me that they use the services of They are a online broker which sells coverage from 21 carriers, including CSA Travel Protection, MedJet Assist, and Travelex.

For insurance for both international and in the US, best bet would be to review costs that are in the study done by Consumer Reports:

You can then check with medical insurance services on a plan that can work for you and also can take with you outside the US.

Michael and 44 other General Specialists are ready to help you