Karel1, Just know a little something
Experience:  about everything
Type Your Question Here...

I have a question about fabric dyeing. I followed the directions

I have a question about fabric dyeing. I followed the directions to dye a 100% cotton quilt. It was dark brown (I dyed it a few years ago from ivory).
I did it in a front loader washing machine for 35 minutes. Used two bottles of black liquid Rit dye. It looked great when it was done. I then put it through a wash cycle (was that a mistake). It looked good. I put it in the dryer it looked good , when it was finished drying I took it out and it was still brown????

Unfortunately dying something from a dark color to black never works, the only time the black dye works is if as you said you died something from ivory to a dark color. Ive tried several times to die a dark color to black , it never works, i believe its because the pigment of the color is already very dark. If you dyed it in your washer please, please be sure to run the machine twice with clorox as the black dye can run chaos on your machine.